Offline web notifications - how do they even work?

Offline web notifications - how do they even work?

by Colin Simpson -
Number of replies: 3

Can anyone please explain to me how offline web notifications work?

I'm able to select this in Notification Preferences but I have no idea at all how I would receive them if I'm not logged in to Moodle. 

I can't find any useful information about this in Moodle Docs or anywhere else - only that it exists. 

regards

Colin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Simpson

Re: Offline web notifications - how do they even work?

by Frank Black -

It's the 'bell icon' notifications menu in the top right of most themes (v3.2 and above).

Users will see notifications there next time they login to Moodle.

For instance, if a school doesn't send emails to students, the users could still easily see notifications for new forum posts when they log in.

In reply to Frank Black

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Colin,

As Frank says, the offline web options are for setting whether a user is notified when they next log in to Moodle. I have added a note about it to the documentation Notifications.

I think the offline web options are rather confusing and so have created an issue - MDL-60886 - suggesting that we only have one column for web notifications.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Colin Simpson -

Thanks Helen, I think your issue is a good idea because offline web notification doesn't do what it implies at all. I would assume that I would get a notification the next time I log into Moodle regardless of whether offline notifications is set to on or off. Otherwise, why use the notification icon at all?

cheers