Displaying resource files in Moodle instead of downloading that file

Displaying resource files in Moodle instead of downloading that file

by Awais Akbar -
Number of replies: 5

Dear All,

In a Moodle course, I want to add resource files for every topic. As an admin, I upload files like pdf or .doc but whenever a student clicks on that file it starts downloading instead of displaying in that browser window. I want my students to read the files directly in the browser window i.e when they click the file it should be displayed in that browser and it should not start downloading automatically. How can I do this? Can someone please help me? I am stuck at this point and didn't find a solution which had worked. Thanks in advance

Regards,

Awais Akbar

fa14-bcs-065@ciit-attock.edu.pk

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Awais Akbar

Re: Displaying resource files in Moodle instead of downloading that file

by Dave Emsley -

Hi Awais,

When you upload a resource you can choose what Moodle does when the student clicks on the link.  When you add the resource to the course look under the Appearance dropdown....

...and change Automatic to Open.

Hope this helps

Dave

In reply to Awais Akbar

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The short answer would be "don't use .doc or .pdf to display your resources"

The slightly longer answer would be to make use of the Moodle Page or Book resource types to display this kind of information. I appreciate that it then takes longer to prepare your course material but the benefits are greater than it just displaying in the browser... All of a sudden your course glossaries will auto-link into all of your course resources too wink

HTH,

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

by Dave Emsley -

Not sure what you have against .pdf Jon?

I'd have thought this is exactly the right format to use if you're not using Moodle pages.

Dave

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Nothing against any formats Dave wink 

Each has their own place and function. PDF for displaying non editable print layouts, doc for editable print layouts and web pages for displaying information in a browser!

My main point was that by using Moodle pages as opposed to uploading files you get access to the greater social interaction that activities such as the glossary afford your students (and you know they will work on any device too!).

Jon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Witts

by Dave Emsley -

I see your point now; yes the glossary links especially are very valuable.