General developer forum

Personal Assessment Tool - Maybe Survey Pro?

Picture of Alek Mlynek
Personal Assessment Tool - Maybe Survey Pro?

First off, thank you for the fantastic software and this community. I'm a developer that's looking forward to helping and providing support. In the meantime, I have this which I'll briefly outline:

1. Building a personal assessment tool (Think Miers Briggs) that has a series of questions that once answered, shows the computed results at the end.
  2. The assessment tool is sent by an individual in Moodle, and is not part of a 'course' but an independent system (Similar to Strength Finder, access code driven)

So far I've built two local modules to facilitate this behaviour, and everything is working fine there. The issue is the assessment itself. I had toyed around with the idea of using SurveyPro but here are my challenges:

1. Surveypro requires being part of a course (More clicks to get to it)
  2. I want to restrict surveys to my own credits system. So far I've only seen a date and user fields as survey restriction options in Moodle. In addition, it seems access is more tied to restricting entry rather than restricting by quantity

My solution:

I think, right now I've settled on simply creating my own survey via the Form API. As this test won't change, it's not likely fields will need to be modified. Also, if I ensure that I'm using get_string, the translation should not be an issue.

However, while I'm a seasoned developer, this is my first foray into Moodle, and it's likely I'm missing some critical pieces of information while trying to wrap my head around everything.

If anyone has tips, suggestions, or some words of wisdom with what I'm doing and how I could actually achieve this using the survey pro module, I would very much appreciate this.

Thank you,

Alek

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Daniele Cordella
Re: Personal Assessment Tool - Maybe Survey Pro?
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Ciao Alek

Thanks for your interest in surveypro. 

I developed it for the needs of my institute but I am totally open to evaluate new ideas and, maybe, implement new solutions by myself or in partnership with someone. 

I will be operative next Monday and I hope to find the time to read in better detail your message and provide you a more relevant answer. 

Thanks again. 

Picture of Daniele Cordella
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers
Ciao again Alek

You wrote:
> Building a personal assessment tool (Think Miers Briggs) that has a series of questions that once answered, shows the computed results at the end.
- ok, this is exactly the reason why surveypro was developed.

> Surveypro requires being part of a course (More clicks to get to it) I want to restrict surveys to my own credits system.
- mmmmhhhh if your survey is not part of a course everyone will be able to submit an answer, even robots and hackers. Are you sure you want to leave your survey 100% open?
Anyway, if I am not wrong (and if my code is not buggy), surveypro can be instanced on moodle front page. If your moodle server foresees a captcha, surveypro supports it too.

> So far I've only seen a date and user fields as survey restriction options in Moodle.
> In addition, it seems access is more tied to restricting entry rather than restricting by quantity.
I think you can limit the number of records each user (student) can submit. You can find it in Surveypro administration > Edit settings, Surveypro settings fieldset -> Maximum allowed attempts

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Alek Mlynek

Thank you for the reply, Daniele.

> - mmmmhhhh if your survey is not part of a course everyone will be able to submit an answer, even robots and hackers. Are you sure you want to leave your survey 100% open?

No certainly not. Being new to Moodle, I'm still getting used to how things work. I'm used to general CMS systems, where permissions are driven by permission settings per module (Something like Drupal) and things don't need to exist within other contexts to inherit certain permissions.

I think the ideal scenario for me would be if I could still present surveypro to individuals that have been assigned a license to take the survey (sometimes multiple licenses for multiple attempts) but not have it tied to a course.

> think you can limit the number of records each user

You are likely right on this. My need is more granular than that. Think: Coaches > Users. Coaches give users a license to fill out the survey, and users can fill it out as many times as they have licenses. Thus this isn't a static number.

I completely understand what I'm doing here is a little outside of the existing box. Thank you for your feedback, you've given me lots to think about and made my two options very clear. (Modify surveypro or use the form API).

Thank you!