Possible moodle issue?

Possible moodle issue?

by Andy Hill -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Guys

Just a query after a long few ours on the phone with godaddy support.  This is my scenario:-

On shared deluxe hosting running moodle Moodle 3.3.2+ (Build: 20170915) the site reports ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE after refreshing the page 18 times or when in lesson after clicking next for each page. This also shuts down my wordpress site on the same server with the same error. In file manager my structure is as follows:-

Public_html/moodle/
Public_html/Wordpress

The path when the error is displayed is: moodle/redirect=0

I also have another shared hosting account with godaddy running the same version but with SSL certificate and this is working absolutely fine. I copied the moodle site from the non SSL account so all files and db are the same but have changed the https in config.php

Question is why does moodle cause this error on a non SSL?  My config.php is showing all correct info and represents the https:// on the SSL site.

Is this a bug in Moodle?

This doesn't give any message when debug is enabled. 

If anyone can shed a little light on the subject that would be great.

Thanks again guys, your help is always appreciated 

Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Hill

Re: Possible moodle issue?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Andy, interesting.

I run a Godaddy VPS for my "production" moodle, and everything is working fine with the latest version of Moodle.  I am using the free SSL provided by cPanel.

I have a GoDaddy hosted server for "experimentation."  No SSL. Moodle 3.2beta+ (Build: 20161111).  It seems to be working well.  I do not run WordPress.

Hmmm, make sure that all settings in your config.php are correct.

I also just purchased a VPS for one month to experiment, as I prepare for Moodle 3.4, which requires php7 (big change.)

If my memory is correct, doesn't Moodle 3.3.2+ require "barracuda", which is not available on Godaddy hosted servers, yet?  On my 3.2beta+ version, I see the "check" message for Barracuda, but this is just a "check" in Moodle 3.2.  I think Moodle 3.3 requires Barracuda.  Maybe this is the source of your problems, although I can't figure out the logic of why this would shut down your WordPress. I would think that only Moodle would care, and not let you proceed.

You might be best off to consider getting a VPS in the very near future, if you can cope with the learning curve from hosted to VPS servers.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Andy Hill -

Hi Rick

Many thanks for your reply and hope all is well with you. After alot of testing and researching, it is looking as Godaddy is at fault.  I have seen this long post on the forums and seems that alot of other people are having the same issue and people have switched hosts.  Here is a link to the post:-

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Developer-Cloud-Portal/constantly-net-ERR-EMPTY-RESPONSE/td-p/10424

Been in touch with godaddy support again and they dont seem to offer a solution. I maybe looking at switching host.

In terms of barracuda support and reliable hosting, do you know a good host? Im looking maybe at hostgator at the moment.

Many thanks

Andy

In reply to Andy Hill

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I don't know, but maybe there is some strange interaction between Moodle and WordPress.  I don't run WordPress, so I am at a loss.

Remember that GoDaddy is not particularly good with specific application support, certainly Moodle is not on their radar.  They seem to be best at keeping their servers alive and running.

I really don't have any other  hosting recommendations.  I would love finding faster performance, better support, and a lower cost.  Haven't found one yet that meets all of this criteria.