Moodle vs Drupal for paid LMS

Moodle vs Drupal for paid LMS

by Walter Byrd -
Number of replies: 6

Both are great products, neither gives me exactly what I want "out of the box."

I created a screencast describing my issues with Moodle as a paid LMS.

Moodle paypal module works, but it does do all that I would like.  Also, navigation is not all it should be, IMO.

I have been trying Drupal 8.4 (latest version) with it's new commerce2 module.

Drupal's new commerce2 module is powerful, it has a lot of high-end features. It is also - to put it mildly - complicated and difficult. By that, I mean even drupal experts consider it complicated and difficult. I have been working with it for days, and I am no where near finished. If I were to try it again, I think I would go with drupal's simpler Ubercart module. I think drupal's commerce2 is overkill for what I am trying to do.

I think the Obermeyer sales site was created with drupal's new commerce2 module. Impressive work, IMO:

https://www.obermeyer.com/

Be certain, that site was made to total experts. But if you need something that can index, and showcase, hundreds of products, each with many variations of color and size, drupal can get the job. For me, it's way more than I need.

Moodle has a great video feature: you can play a video loaded on the site, instead of having to embed something from youtube, or vimeo. This is helpful for a paid site. Why would anybody pay if the videos are available for free?

Supposedly, this can be done in drupal, but it requires an additional module. I have loaded the "Video" module, which should make this possible, but have not been about to get it to work. There are other modules that should make this work, I might try those if I cannot get the Video module to work.

Drupal has a pre-built LMS called Opigno. I tried it and was unimpressed. It has high system requirements, and does not really work. Also, the Opigno module does not include Commerce, or Ubercart, which means it does not save you that much work. There is nothing in Opigno that cannot be added manually in standard drupal install.

H5P seems to work well with drupal. It is reasonably easy to install and configure. Loads of great features. I have not tried H5P with moodle yet.

I still have a long way to go. I thought I would post this in case anybody is interested.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Walter Byrd

Re: Moodle vs Drupal for paid LMS

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Fully automated teaching? Like self-driven cars? Well, that is not exactly what Martin had in mind when he put Moodle together: https://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Philosophy.

Sure Moodle has come a long way since. But potatoes never become apples!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I like this illustration of the history of teaching machines.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

RE: But potatoes never become apples!

But in software they can:

// Potatoes Apples
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
class Apple {
    int diameter;
    char* type;
    public:
        Apple(int diameter, char* type) {
            this.diameter = diameter;
            this.type = type;
        }
}
class Potato {
    int area;
    int density;
    char* type;
    public:
        Potato(int area, int density, char* type) {
            this.area = area;
            this.density = density;
            this.type = type;
        }
}
union Transmogrifier {
    Apple anApple;
    Potato aPotato;
}

Please forgive my bad C++, been a while!

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers
What's that in PHP? We're more likely to speak that here!
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

But potatoes never become apples! [OT]

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Ha, ha, ha! A _trans_mogrifier! As if mogrification is not scary enough. Quote: "the minimal transcription factor (TF) combinations required to reprogram one somatic human cell type directly into another, without the need to first reprogram cells to a primitive or pluripotent (iPS) cell fate" https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/376871/MOGRIFYTM-direct-reprograming-between-all-human-cell-types.pdf.
:-8

Wait, you knew that the reverse, apples becoming potatoes, have happened? In many dialects potato is called "hard apple": aardappel (Dutch), අර්තාපල් (arthaapel, Sinhalese) or even Kartoffel in German has traces of Apfel.
wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)