Teaching with Moodle

Substitute teachers

Picture of Enno Schwaß
Substitute teachers

Hello everyone, I am a first time user of moodle and I am curious about how other people use moodle to organize their courses. The installation itself went well, but now I have to think about how students and teachers communicate each other. I can create courses, assign teachers and add students to courses. The internal messaging works fine, but not for all use cases. (At least I am not aware of a solution for my problem) Imagine a teacher A is teaching his language course for a certain time. She can easily exchange messages with her students, give advice to single students or inform all of them about urgent dates. Fine. But what happens, if she abruptly is absent for a certain time. You need a substitute teacher. How can the new teacher be assigned to her course and read all the old messages and get pending messages addressed to the original teacher. I am fine with the internal message system. For us there is no need to setup our own mail server. How do you manage this use case? I am a programmer from Germany, not a teacher. So I might miss the obvious solution. Thank you in advance Enno

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joost Elshoff
Re: Substitute teachers
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Hi Enno,

A new teacher would have a new account and therefore would not have access to user-to-user communication between the previous teacher and the students. If you'd want to have some sort of in course communication between teacher and individual students, you could consider the Journal activity.

This allows all teachers to access communication between teacher(s) and individual students. It has been removed as a core module, but is still available as a plugin.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Enno Schwaß
Re: Substitute teachers

Hi Joost, Thank you. I will give it a try. Enno

Average of ratings: -