Installing and upgrading help

3.3.2+ localcache filling up hard drive

Picture of Joel Smith
3.3.2+ localcache filling up hard drive

**posted in general help but no response**

I noticed yesterday that my server's hard drive had filled up from files generating in moodledata\localcache. There are all of these long folder names like 8e6e6739-70c9-454a-adbe-8f5e323cf4ff and inside are some more folders with similar names and then in side of each of those folders is a single pdf labelled error.pdf. All of the error.pdf documents say "There was an error while generating this page". When I delete the files, more will show up, sometime right away, sometimes after a few minutes. 

Not really sure where to go from here. This has been happening since September with a previous version of Moodle (I think it was 3.3). Noticed it after the hard drive filled up! Updating to latest never changed anything. I went into debugging, set it to log errors & checked the php error log but nothing is showing up. Any advice is appreciated.

Environment: Latest Moodle from Nov. 3, Server 2008 R2, IIS7, MySql 5.5, PHP7.0.9

Average of ratings: -
Sketch...
Re: 3.3.2+ localcache filling up hard drive
Particularly helpful Moodlers

The first thing I would do is check that the user that IIS is running under has full read/write access to the whole Moodledata $CFG->dataroot folder (including all the sub-folders).

Are you running the Moodle site (in IIS) using the Application Pool Identity? If so, make sure that Application Pool Identity user has full read/write permission to the Moodle data folder. (If necessary you can use icacls to check and re-apply the existing permissions, but doing it via the Folder Properties screen is usually sufficient.)

Picture of Joel Smith
Re: 3.3.2+ localcache filling up hard drive

Hi Luis,

I've gotten some help in the other forum but it's not figured out yet. Yes, i'm using an app pool identity. The IUSR account is setup with read only for moodle but read/write for moodledata, but oddly the issue is related to the local administrator account, as denying write from that account to moodledata\localcache will stop the generation of these files, although I then see an error in the php log.

Check out my other post here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361068#p1456595