Installing and upgrading help

Install XAMPP Mac, can't install php intl extension.

Picture of Rick Jerz
Install XAMPP Mac, can't install php intl extension.
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have successfully installed XAMPP on my Mac.  However, the latest version does not include the intl extension for php.  It seemed to me that this would be a simple install, but I have not had any success.

Tried uncommenting (actually adding) the extension=intl.so line in php.ini, nope.

Tried installing intl first, via brew, autoupdate, etc. (as the tips via google search revealed), nope.

The intl extension does exist in the PC version of XAMPP, and works!  Why is it easy on the PC and not on the Mac?  

Of course, intl is need for Moodle, which is why I am trying.

(I posted for help on MAMP.  Here's is where I stand.  If I install MAMP, I cannot seem to upgrade to MariaDB.  If I install XAMPP Mac, I get MariaDB but no intl extension.  I trying to make one of these two AMP products have everything, meaning latest php, latest db, so that I can experiment with the latest moodle.)

Average of ratings: -
Christopher Richter Ricoshae Pty Ltd
Re: Install XAMPP Mac, can't install php intl extension.

Hi Rick, 

For XAMPP this may be of some help. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27886117/php-intl-installation-on-xampp

The 3rd response in the link above is specific to a Moodle install issue with php intl.

Mac already has Apache and PHP - XAMPP is often overkill so you only need to install DB. 

Thanks,

Chris 

Picture of Rick Jerz

Christopher, thanks for your post.

Yep, saw that, tried it, couldn't get it to work.

Yep, understand that the Mac is already Apache, but as a novice at Linux, I somehow think that it would be better to keep my moodle self-contained (at least until I learn how to manage Linux on my Mac. Howard has also made this point to me too, which I appreciate. Howard once said to me "trust me, the Mac doesn't use php so you can't hurt your Mac with it.)

Having said this, maybe this is my problem.  Maybe so of the help that I find assume that you are running all of this right on your Mac, no XAMPP or MAMP, etc.

What I really want to be able to do is mirror my VPS and its tools, such as phpmyadmin.  I like being able to experiment in my own AMP setup before doing things to my production VPS.

Picture of Ken Task

There's another option ...

Install virtualbox!
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Instructions:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.0/UserManual.pdf

Could then run Ubuntu 16.04, CentOS 7, SciLinux 6, or any distro that provides iso downloads.
Perfect environment to try out/run PHP 7.0/7.1, MySQL highest, Apache highest or other web service ... like nginx.   Installed and maintained by the OS package manager - never out of date.

Perfect place to learn git to acquire Moodle .... any version.

Could even learn networking a little so that regardless if your Mac is on a network or not, the VB instances + the Moodles they host, are always available - as long as you can boot the Mac.

When on a network, could transfer any implementation of Moodle from any of the VB's to true internet accessible  server.  Using a host file trick, the one developed on Virtualbox (any OS) could be by the same fully qualfied domain name as the production site thus no changes needed when uploading the moodle to the true server.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Rick Jerz

Hi Ken, yep.  But I already have VMWare.

So here is what works.

Latest XAMPP for PC in VMWare Windows 10 PC, php 7.1.10, MariaDB 10.1.28, Moodle 3.4rc2 (Build: 20171108).  Yes, this seems to be working just fine.  All required php extensions turned on.  Opcache, database issues, everything works.  Moodle server environment reports "OKs" for everything (except SSL warning.)  So this becomes a very good experimental moodle.

Latest XAMPP for MAC, for whatever reasons, does not include intl.  Can't simply go into php.ini and enable it.  Doesn't work.  Without intl, can't make it past the moodle install screens.

Yep, weird.

I should mention that my Mac experimentation is in a VMWare virtual Mac, Sierra.  This allows me to experiment without doing damage to my own Mac.

One additional question about my VMWare PC Moodle 3.4rc2, does anyone see any problems running a higher version of php and MariaDB than what is recommended?  My idea was to run the latest everything.

Picture of Ken Task

VMWare Fusion.   Looks good ... at least the video ... $$$ ... not free and see it offers discounts for educators - am a retired educator thus don't know that I would qualify ... besides that ... desire not to use anything commercial.  Unless one left public education as an admin, annuity isn't necessarily all that 'comfortable' - heck, the 'cola' (cost of living increase) doesn't even pay the taxes I owe! :\

If the goal is to have something local to use for development, would think that one would choose what is most closely related to where one actually host a true/server Moodle.  One can't really do that for shared or VPS hosted ... but darn near.

Simplify!

My 2 cents, of course. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Rick Jerz

Yep, $$$. (<$75)

But VMWare can host Mac OSs, DOS, Windows 95, Windows 3.1.  Virtualbox might have other features, however.

Yes, I just purchased a 1 month GoDaddy VPS, which does offer php7 and MariaDB.  I plan to see how high a version of php and MariaDB it supports, then try to closely match my experimental environment.  I really want to run MAMP or XAMPP on my Mac.  Having to use a virtual PC is one more step, but I can live with it.

Ken, out of curiosity, what versions of php and mySQL/MariaDB have you been using to experiment with Moodle 3.4?

Picture of Ken Task

Uhhh ... unless taking a trip down nostalgia lane, why would anyone want DOS, Windows 3.1 ... not I ... and I started with that 'stuff'!!! ... been there ... done that!

3.4 dev ... cause 3.4 'stable' hasn't been released yet ... unless I missed it.  Through the years have lost the interest to be on the 'bleeding edge' ... don't have the time, don't have the $ to waist ...  have learned to be 'patient' and wait for .0 to turn to .1 or .2 before taking a look see.  So I've read/see in the environment check of a 3.3.highest,  that 3.4 will require 7.0 but can support 7.1 of PHP. 

No problem updating php to 7.0 or 7.1 with all the extensions.   But, because some servers I support also run other apps have to consider if they are compat with higher versions of PHP.  

MySQL vs MariaDB .... as you know, MariaDB is a 'drop in replacement' for MySQL ..... well, kinda/sorta.   MariaDB does have/tout some interesting looking features but does Moodle code or WordPress or Joomla or X take advantage of those?

One thing about VirtualBox and Linux (CentOS/Ubuntu/other) it's fairly easy to upgrade/downgrade ... try out different combos ... but until one puts it into production, one doesn't really know for sure - 1 user vs 100=200-300-etc.

Do think, however, that more and more is leading to whatever distro/OS on the bigger cloud networks ... Amazon, Google, and now (late to the party as usuual), Azure.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Rick Jerz

I teach "spreadsheets," so sometimes it is fun to show students what Lotus 1-2-3 in DOS looked like, or Excel 2.0 in Windows 3.1.

Yep, bleeding edge stuff, but everyone will get there eventually, but this is the point of having an experimental moodle.  I would never upgrade my production moodle until I have all the "kinks" worked out with 3.4.  I have been there with other moodles, like 2.7, 2.4, or whatever.  Not always a simple upgrade.

Yes, this MariaDB stuff is going to be new to me, but I am excited to go this path.

I haven't figured out all of the cloud networks, yet.  I can't figure out the cost, or features that I would gain.  Maybe in the future.

Thanks for all of your thoughts about all of this, Ken.

Picture of Ken Task

Well that explains DOS/Win3.1 etc for sure.   Uhhh .... I used to teach history to JH and HS kiddos.   Always a challenge to make the course relevant to youth who have their whole life ahead of them and prefer to think in terms of 'here and now' as well as 'future' - rightfully so, I might add.   With older students, however, could see that they might find old spreadsheet behavior an interesting (side trip) but only if they have reached the age or inclination to view historical sorts of things.   In this age of 'high stakes testing' in public education, teachers/students don't really have the time to take 'interesting side trips' / explorations. :\  Hopefully, that will change ... project based learning etc.

User Curt Bixel posted a question the other day about using a content delivery management option he had in his hosting package on CloudWays.  From what I could gather, Cloudways offers remotely hosted accounts that are not shared on one of the biggies ... Google or Amazon(?).   Don't think I've seen many hosting providers setup that way but the number could be growing.   Only makes sense.

I do support a corp and subs of that corp whose moodles are all hosted on RackSpace and do have backend access to RackSpace workings as a result.   Cloudways looks cheaper.   Have also read that RackSpace itself is providing technical assistance with Google and Amazon ... hmmmmm. The hosting tech world is getting stranger and stranger! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I like to "play" with the new stuff from Moodle and all the plugins for it, along with various flavors of Linux, web servers, databases, PHP, etc., and have spent a lot of my free time over the past six months doing so. What makes it all easy to do is Raspberry Pi 3's and Odroid-XU4's. Basically, with either one and a few Micro SDC memory chips, you can setup any combination of OS, DB, Web server, and PHP you want. It then becomes just a matter of plugging in the right chip and turning on the power. That's how I got a Moodle set up for checking out the MariaDB a few months ago.

Picture of Rick Jerz

@Ken.  If one didn't make side trips off of I-35 from between Duluth and Laredo, they would be missing a lot of the beauty of what's between these two cities.  smile

Al, I forgot about the Raspberry Pi 3's possibility.

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

The Pi3 is very noticeably slower than the Odroid-XU4, which also has 8 CPU's instead of 4, which helps make the difference. The Odroid does cost just a bit more than a PI3, but to me, seems well worth the difference. Hardkernal, the Odroid maker, has just recently come out with a cheaper version, Odroid-HC1, that has a SATA connector so you can use SSD's or laptop "spinning" drives, instead of an eMMC memory. Not sure how that affects the apparent speed...gotta order at least one for Christmas. big grin

Christopher Richter Ricoshae Pty Ltd

Hi Rick,

I used to run Moodle on my local machine for development. Did that for many years. But I have since changed to running a cloud dev/test and prod server purely because the online server is built on the same tech as the production environment. 

This reduces any issues caused by different server environments. And this helps with upgrades so we can properly pre-test everything.

Having said that, locally MySQL Workbench does a good job for managing your databases. 

Thanks,

Christopher

Picture of Rick Jerz

Christopher, I run MAMP and earlier versions of XAMPP just fine on my Mac.  But I want an experimental AMP with the latest php and MariaDB.  The current XAMPP for Mac download has these latest versions, but for whatever reason, "intl" is not easily available.  This is my problem.  (From my reply to Ken) I do have the latest XAMPP working fine on my virtual PC.  So far, all of the directions relating to enabling intl don't work.  This is why I am wondering if anyone has tried this and has had success.

My best guess is that the latest XAMPP for Mac might need some catching up to do.  It is really odd that one cannot enable intl by just uncommenting the line in php.ini.

The latest Mac4Moodle (from moodle.org), and the latest MAMP do work fine, but these are still shipping with the latest mySQL database, not MariaDB.  (Yep, I know, why not upgrade mySQL to MariaDB within one of the MAMP environments?  Well, haven't yet figured that out either. The latest MAMP does come with php 7.1.8, and mySQL 5.6.35.)