Moodle Installation on Windows Server 2012 R2 edition.

Moodle Installation on Windows Server 2012 R2 edition.

by Maddy N -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have a windows server 2012 r2 edition set up. I would like to what version of Moodle should I be installing and with respect to that moodle version, what version of mssql, php etc should I be installing?

Also what all the other plugins/software installation is required?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maddy N

Re: Moodle Installation on Windows Server 2012 R2 edition.

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You can run any currently supported Moodle version on Windows Server 2012 R2, so Moodle 3.3 would be suitable.

I'd recommend using PHP 7.0, ensure you have the latest release (7.0.25 at the time of writing) but you can use PHP 7.1 if you wish. PHP 5.6 on Windows Server has restrictions so this should be avoided.

For the web server, on Windows Server I'd recommend using Microsoft IIS instead of Apache.

The SQL Server version should be the latest version you can obtain. Alternatively, you can install MySQL on Windows Server.

Installing and configuring PHP and IIS (or Apache) on Windows Server can be tricky depending on your experience with these.

If this is for a trial or evaluation site it may be easier to set this up using XAMPP but this is not recommended for production sites.

With regard to plugins, that would be down to your requirements.
In reply to Leon Stringer

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

If you go with a MSSQL database then you use the Microsoft Drivers for PHP for SQL Server to connect PHP to MSSQL. Tell Moodle to use that SQLSRV driver by using $CFG->dbtype = 'sqlsrv'; in your Moodle config.php file.

Read https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Windows_installation first...

Avoid XAMPP on production servers.

And IIS is built into Windows so it makes sense to use IIS. Apache can be a pain to configure securely on Windows.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Maddy N -

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I am currently installing Moodle 3.3.2+ on Window Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition with php7.1.11. IIS 8.5 is the web server.

We have SQL Server 2014 for database which already exists and has around 2000 users.

I installed php in c:\php\php7.1.11

Edited all the settings(in php.ini file).

Created a folder named App in D drive and unzipped moodle there. I.e. D:\App\Moodle.

Now I configured IIS and added a application pool under default website named moodle with physical address as D:\App\moodle.

Now when I type http://localhost/moodle the moodle installation page shows up.

Now once I select language and press next I am getting this HTTP Error 405.0 - Method not allowed error. How do I proceed?