Teacher Assessment not being reflected

Teacher Assessment not being reflected

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Plugin developers
I have been using the workshop module since April of this year (2005), and am very impressed with the new version, which is part of moodle 1.5.2.

However, I am having a problem understanding the grading system. In particular, it is not clear to me how the 'Teacher Assessment' of a piece of work is reflected in the 'Submission Grade'.

At the moment I am having students get into groups of 4 or 5 students. Each group of students has its own username and password. The groups upload work to the workshop, and assess their own work as well as that of other groups using their group IDs.

This all works fine: each group grades its own group's work, plus that of 4 or 5 other groups. I then grade each group's work.

The settings for the Workshop are as follows:

Grade for Assessments:
Grade for Submission:
Grading Strategy:
Accumulative
Number of Comments, Assessment Elements, Grade Bands, Criterion Statments or Categories in a Rubric:
Number of Attachments expected on Submissions:
Allow Resubmissions:
No
Number of Assessments of Examples from Teacher:
Comparison of Assessments:

Lax
Number of Assessments of Student Submissions:

Weight for Teacher Assessments:
Over Allocation:

Self Assessment:
Yes
Assessments must be agreed:
Yes

The problem is that my score (the Teacher Assessment) is not reflected in the 'Submission Grade'. The only part of the grade in which my score is reflected is in the 'Assessment Grade', and therefore to a certain extent in the 'Total Grade'. I know this, because if I change the 'Comparison of Assessments' to, for example 'strict', the change is reflected in the Assessment Grade by a change in the groups' 'Assessment Grade' and 'Total Grade'.

I understand that one of the purposes of the 'Teacher Assessment' grade is to provide a 'benchmark' with which to compare students' grades of those of their peers. However, it would also seem to be the case that the 'Teacher Assessement' score should also be part of the 'Submission Grade'. Yet, changes in the 'Weight for Teacher Assessments' do not make any difference what so ever to the 'Submission Grade'.

I realise that I could increase the influence of my grade on the 'Total Grade' by increasing the 'Grade for Assessments' and decreasing the 'Grade for Submission', coupled with making the 'Comparison of Assessments' 'Very Strict'. However, I would prefer to make my grade (the Teacher Assessment') have a more direct and transparent effect on the 'Total Grade'. In other words, I want to place more emphasis on the the students' submissions than their ability to assess.

I have attached a PDF of the 'League Table of Submitted Work' showing all the grades for the 10 groups that I mentioned above. You'll see, for example, that a 'groups' 'Submission' grade is the average of the 'Peer Assessments' that have been agreed to. The Teacher's Assessment is not reflected in this score at all.

I realise that the Workshop module is currently in search of a maintainer, so I may not got an answer to this query. However, I'd welcome any suggestions or comments from other Workshop users, even if it is just to say that you have also experienced this 'problem'. Or, indeed, if it is just to say that I have misunderstood something.

Thank you.
Average of ratings: -