Boost theme: hide group mode icons

Boost theme: hide group mode icons

by stefan weber -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

Most of our users preferred the old Moodle layout where it was possible to deactivate the edit dropdown menu and instead show icons for frequently used actions next to all activities when edit mode was turned on. 

Unfortunately, the admin setting that allowed for this has been removed around Moodle 3.x for reasons I never understood, but sadly, requiring ever more clicks for the same actions has been a constant development for the Moodle interface.

Now we are using Moodle 3.3.1 and Boost theme, and the only icon that is still shown next to the edit drop-down menu is the group mode icon:

groupmode

I find this rather inexplicable, as group mode is not a setting that is frequently changed. To make matters worse, I regularly encounter teachers that mistakenly changed the group mode of activities without even noticing, probably because their mouse click missed the "edit" dropdown menu by a bit...

For this reason, Id like to deactivate these group mode icons, or even better - replace them with a "settings" icon for accessing settings for activities without having to click on the dropdown menu

Can someone point me to the file of boost that I'd have to edit in order to do so?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to stefan weber

Re: Boost theme: hide group mode icons

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, I never understood it either, and the resuting mess, as I tend to see it as, it is a shame that we cannot go back to that old familar method.

I think the first things you should do is request a change within Moodle by opening a Moodle Tracker ticket.

I'm not sure how you can change this as I have not looked at this particuar situation, but it looks as though it is possible to make some custom changes within a theme.

I'm going to be busy the rest of today and tomorrow morning, but I will hopefully find time tomorrow afternoon to check this out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful imediatly, but Gareth may have some ideas?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by stefan weber -
In reply to stefan weber

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have just been thinking of a way to make it easier for your teachers to click the Edit icon and not the Group icon. 

This would allow you to add some CSS into your theme that would restyle and move these elements further apart, thus making it less likely of hitting the wrong lcon.

In reply to Mary Evans

by stefan weber -

not a bad idea, however im pretty sure I can just switch the group mode edit icon with the edit settings icon if I take time to look into it, and thats my preferred solution smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)