Updating Alias shortcut files

Updating Alias shortcut files

by Jim Judges -
Number of replies: 3

The previous discussion (see link) has been closed but I have had problems with this issue when updating an alias file:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=271328

However I think that the trick is to update the file as described elsewhere (i.e. overwrite with same name file) and then wait a little while perhaps 15-30 mins for the alias copies to update themselves. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? It seems that the update to an alias copy is controlled by a cron process somewhere?

The problem is you update the source file and the alias copies don't seem to change, but I found if I waited they did...? I'd be interested in hearing other experiences.

Happy Moodling,

Jim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Judges

Re: Updating Alias shortcut files

by Richard Clay -

Fancy coming across you here Mr Judges. Did you ever find out about this? I'm having problems with files linked by an alias updating and was wondering if you have to wait a while and if so for how long?

Cheers
Rich

In reply to Richard Clay

by Jim Judges -

Hello Mr Clay, thanks for your query.

Firstly it is worth recapping, especially for anyone reading this who is grappling with this, that from what I can see the key to using Alias files and updating them is that the main original filename must stay the same, so you need to upload a new file with the same name as the existing file then choose overwrite. This can be a pain if you want to replace e.g. ADVICE_SPRING18 with ADVICE_SUMMER18, however you can rename the link name if that helps.

Once you realise this then it is possible to update these files in their original location.

However there does seem to be a delay. This may actually be a browser cache issue rather than cron. Try this work around to force the update - it worked for me:

1. Upload replacement file with exactly same name and choose OVERWRITE in the main file location.

2. Download or open this file in this same original main file area

3. Visit the Alias link and attempt to open - this should now link to the newly overwritten Alias file (in the same browser)

I think that should work!

Good luck.

Jim

In reply to Jim Judges

by Richard Clay -

Hi Jim

Tried the steps you suggested above but I still get the older version of the alias file showing after updating the original. Cant find anything in the Moodle docs about how how/when aliases are updated. Does anyone out there know how aliases are updated and when changes should show up?

Cheers
Richard