Groups?

Groups?

by Michael Ingledew -
Number of replies: 10

Hi Guys,

I have Moodle configured that only my teachers may add students to the system. All of these students may enrol on any course we have in our LMS.

So we have Admin, Teachers, Students - we have disabled Guest as we need control, over who access our LMS due to the type of work we do.

However, we now wish to LiveStream to our Moodle (using Wirecast and Wowza, it works we tested) - and our students need access to this, but we also wish to allow certain external 'students' access this, but these external students may not access other material.

So my question, is how do I add another 'group' of students (Students_Temp) who we can control having access to the Live Stream but not any other courses.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Ingledew

Re: Groups?

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Shouldn't be too hard:

Create a cohort for these Temp Students, fill the cohort with the students on your list. Enroll the cohort to the course LiveStream, with Create new group as a setting and the role Student. You'd need to have the livestream accessible and available only in the course this cohort (and internal students) are enrolled in.

This way you can control access, control their cohort and enrolments etc.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Michael Ingledew -

Thanks, TBH, I struggle with this Cohorts methodology.

In my mind, if I create a Cohort (let's assume Students_Temp) and I load my students into this, how do I stop them from accessing normal Student courses? 

As I said, Cohorts is a little bit of a black art to me..

Mike

by Joost Elshoff -

Hi Mike,

Well, that depends on the enrolment methods available in these other courses. If self enrolment or guest access has been added, be sure to get rid of those. 

Cohort sync is a beautiful bit of magic that would enable admins and teachers to easily enroll multiple users into courses. The students in the Temp cohort will only have access to courses for which the cohort sync has been set up. If they happen to stumble upon a link to another course, they would see they don't have access to this.

Alternatively, you could create a role for these temp students, derived from the default Students role, with restrictions on self enrolment or guest access.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Michael Ingledew -

Perfect thanks, I think you may have just cleared up some confusion for me..

So all of our courses right now allow 'Self Enrolment' and if I read you correctly, this is the flaw, if we remove this and we allow students to request access we can have all temps etc in the same Student Role and only permit those we need to access relevant courses?

Tnx

Mike

by Joost Elshoff -

Exactly smile

Although I understand why you'd choose the Self Enrolment for courses, it's difficult to keep track of who's enrolling in which course. You could consider adding an enrolment key to the self enrolment to reduce admin workload of approving course access. Distribute the enrolment keys only to those students who should access the course in question. 

by Rick Jerz -

I am a little late to this discussion, but I thought I would share one thing that I do, which might help you think through your own situation.

I always use self-enrollment.  In several courses, I do want to put students into (predefined) groups.  So I create a different enrollment key for each group, and then I email them and in this email say:

Enrollment keys (case sensitive):
Last name starts with A-F: Ops15-a
Last name starts with G-M: Ops15-b
Last name starts with N-Z: Ops15-c

This seems to take care of most of my grouping effort.  Sure, after students are enrolled, I can check and fix any students who put themselves into the wrong group.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Michael Ingledew -

Thanks for your help guys, I have opted for creating a new role (Student_temp) which means these 'limited' students will be slotted in here and I will 'upgrade' them as and if needed.

Now my problem.. I have just created a new student to test this capability - and he is automatically added to the Normal Student Role - how do I move this student into the 'Student_temp' role? 

I am struggling to see where that happens and the support documentation is a little weak in this area.

Thanks

Mike

by Rick Jerz -

The way that I would do this is to go to the course, then users, then enrolled users.  This provides a screen where I can change roles.  There may be other ways, but since I never change student roles, this is how I do it.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Michael Ingledew -

Guys want to thank you for all your help - I decided to use Cohorts and change the way that I allow enrolment methods on a course. This appears to work - just got to go an change all methods on my courses now.. but this is going to work perfectly! Cheers chaps.. Mike

by Rick Jerz -

Great to hear this!  Someday, report back to us (or help another person with your solution.)