Certificate displaying grade from 1st attempt (not highest attempt)

Certificate displaying grade from 1st attempt (not highest attempt)

by Emma Herbert -
Number of replies: 8

My learners have two attempts at a final exam in a SCORM package.

I've restricted the certificate from being available unless the activity is marked as passed and this is working correctly.

The problem is that the grade on the certificate doesn’t seem to get overwritten if the user gets a higher score on their second attempt. So for example if someone scores 95 on their first attempt and then 100 on their second attempt, the certificate will display the 95%. 

Can this behaviour be modified so the certificate displays the higher score? 

Many thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Herbert

Re: Certificate displaying grade from 1st attempt (not highest attempt)

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Emma,

The certificate simply uses the grade API to determine what grade to show, so it shouldn't be different than the gradebook (if it is then there is a problem). Can you let me know what grade is showing on the gradebook for those students for that activity?

Regards,

Mark
In reply to Mark Nelson

by Emma Herbert -

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for you reply.

I've started from scratch with a new test user and can confirm that the grade book updated on second attempt accordingly, but the certificate is still showing the lower grade from the first attempt.

In reply to Emma Herbert

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Emma,

These are the steps I took.

1. Create a course.
2. Enrol a student.
3. Add a SCORM activity.
4. Complete the activity as a student (make sure to get less than 100%).
5. Log in as the admin on another browser.
6. Add a custom certificate.
7. Add a grade element that points to that SCORM.
8. As the student confirm the generated PDF shows you the correct result (the same as the gradebook).
9. Complete the SCORM again as the student, but this time get 100%.
10. As the student confirm the generated PDF shows you the correct result (the same as the gradebook).

Everything worked as expected. Is there something I am missing?

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Emma Herbert -

Hi Mark,

The only difference in my tests is that the certificate already exists as an activity before the learner has any attempts at the SCORM. 

We would not typically add a certificate after a learner has had one attempt.

I wonder if this would cause you to see the same error I am seeing?

In reply to Emma Herbert

by Mark Nelson -

Hi Emma,

The custom certificate generates the grade every time the PDF is generated, so there would be no 'stale' grade afaik. Are you using mod_customcert or mod_certificate?

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Emma Herbert -

Thanks Mark, that's useful to know.

We've had somebody look into the issue and they've concluded there is a bug with the simple certificate. We're now looking to use the other version 

In reply to Emma Herbert

by Mark Nelson -
Hi Emma,

I did not create the simple certificate, nor have I used it, so definitely not the right person to be answering this question. I thought you were talking about the 'Custom certificate'. Confusing, I know.

There are 3 plugins -

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_customcert - The one I currently work on. Written from scratch by myself.
https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_certificate - Originally written by Chardelle Busch for Moodle 1.9. I took over and maintained it so it would work on 2.x since a lot changed in the API and the 1.9 version would break completely. I just did the transition to the new API by the underlying functionality remained the same.
https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_simplecertificate - A spin off from mod_certificate with the added benefit of using a text editor to customise the appearance. I did not create this. smile

Hope that clears it up a bit.
In reply to Mark Nelson

by Emma Herbert -

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help on this and for taking the time to reply.