Teaching with Moodle

Subcourses

Picture of Robert Hegestedt
Subcourses

Hi,
I would like to make a hierarchy of courses under the subject of math, it would look something like this

Mathematic
  • Numbers               
          Percent
          Fractions
             - Comparing fractions (Here goes all activities, quizes and so on)
             - Adding fraction

• Algebra
           Variables
           Equations

•  Geometry
           Area
           Volume

I looked at metacourse but I could only do one level and it's not enough. Do I have to create separate courses to accomplish this?

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Subcourses
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

It very much depends on how you want to implement this and who you want to access the subcourses. The most obvious solution would be to have a category called Maths -and then subcategories called Numbers, Algebra, Geometry and then individual courses in each of the subcategories. But perhaps if you can give more information then others can suggest more options? It also depends on how much information is to go in each of these topics -for example- could you simply have one course Algebra, but with two sections on variables and equations?

Thanks for your reply! Want I want to accomplish is that all users should have access to all information under math. I didn't realise that I could have different sections in a course. Then I could create a course called math and then create metacourses for Numbers, Algebra and Geometry. Could this work or are there other solutions?

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

That would work if you want to use Course meta link, yes. Do you have a particular reason for wanting to use this enrolment method?

I don't see any other option if I want have everything in the same course. Is there some issues using course meta link?

I tried your solution and I can manage courses in categories, but how can I assign new users to all of the courses. This solution would require 42 courses for me and it will be a lot of work to enroll a couple of hundred students to all of these courses. Can I assign user to a category or what are my options?

Picture of Dave Emsley
Particularly helpful Moodlers

You could use an upload csv file from your school's admin system or use a meta course.

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Course_meta_link

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Bulk_enrolments

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thanks, I'll try meta Course. I saw that cohorts had the same features and will have a look at those as well. Thanks for your feedback!