General developer forum

Change Site Configuration is too broad?

Picture of Hal MacLean
Change Site Configuration is too broad?

Apologies if this is not the right place for this topic.

I'd like to provide access to the theme settings for users other than site administrators, but the settings for themes seem wrapped up in the general permission to 'change site configuration'. Within that are far too many possible ways to break the entire system, so I would not allocate that permission itself.

Themes are now very much more mature, and often contain feature settings that a 'manager' might require access to - for example, posting alerts on the front page or changing a logo or contact details. This is not going to threaten the integrity or operation of the site, although I concede that it could end up looking ugly! Many themes now include 'Promo' boxes, carousel slideshows of images, quotes from ardent users and other aspects that may need to change regularly or frequently. Why is it that a Manager, for example, cannot do these tasks? It hardly seems like it should fall to the system admin only... in days gone by that would possibly have been a necessity, but surely now it is time to review the way systems are being used and consider the theme settings as something more available to different levels of privilege?

Is there anyone else wanting to strip out some of the functionality from the 'Change Site Configuration' permission and allow a finer grain access to certain components of it at all? Themes are an obvious area that could be delegated below Site Admin level, IMO. Competencies could also be, as could language settings (potentially).

I do see the complexity of allowing a manager access only to Theme settings, and not to the other sub-items in the 'Appearance' section, but I don't think it should be up to the site admins to manage the changes to the themes that many themes are now providing.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Change Site Configuration is too broad?
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello. There is a tracker issue here which might be worth commenting on: MDL-50377

Picture of Hal MacLean
Re: Change Site Configuration is too broad?

Thanks Mary - I'd hoped there would be, but couldn't find it. I've responded... smile