Languages

Character limitations greatly affect multilanguage support

Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Character limitations greatly affect multilanguage support
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi John,

I am sorry that I did not see your post earlier, but the "10 Template" limit mentioned in the Generico video is no longer current information. The current version of the plugin uses a default of 20 but can be changed as needed. On my dev site, at the moment I have 45, and when I get a chance to work on a couple of chart filters I need, I will bump that up to 50 or 55.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Robert Brenstein

I just bumped into the 254 chars limit in the course titles as well. With only 3 languages. Considering that full course title is a varchar field, that is essentially using only the actual length of the text, I am not sure why the max length can't be increased in the core distribution, considering that Moodle seems to be used multilingually more and more. Making that field longer does not create any backward compatibility issues, either. I am talking only about the course titles. Content is another story - I agree with David M. that it would be too complicated and too much effort.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of David Mudrák
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

Yeah. I start to think we should simply increase the max length of all such VARCHAR fields to the maximum cross-db supported size which is 1333 chars (IIRC).

Picture of Michael Milette
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I agree. Even with the shorter {mlang} tags, it doesn't take long to reach character limits when you have multiple languages.

With that said, unfortunately it involves more than just altering the database as character limits are also imposed in the PHP source code throughout Moodle.

Michael