Trouble tracking course completion

Trouble tracking course completion

by Rachel Orritt -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all, 

I'm wondering if there's a way to track module completion (number of users that have completed a course) for a monthly report I have to do. 

• I'm using Moodle version 2.9 in Google chrome
  • I'm looking to find out how many users completed one particular module in a given month. 

So far I have tried to enable 'completion tracking' in site and in course administration, but there is no option I can see for a course completion report or anything similar. I'd also be happy to find out how many certificates were issued (which should give me the same answer) but no luck with that either. So far all the googling I've done has only resulted in menu paths that I don't have, for whatever reason. 

I'm quite new to using moodle and inherited the management of this course from someone who is now retired, so any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rachel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rachel Orritt

Re: Trouble tracking course completion

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If completion tracking is turned on for the site and the course, you should have a couple things in your course that should help.  If you don't, there may be permissions issues, so we'll start there.

First...do you have site permissions or course permissions or both?  This matters because if you have an inherited role but don't have explicit Teacher role in a course, some of the options don't show up.  If you have an inherited role, to resolve this in Administration, look for the Switch role to and choose Teacher (or equivalent--mine is actually called Facilitator) OR just give yourself an explicit Teacher role in the course.

Second...Course completion tracking should add an option in your Course Administration block that says Course completion.  This is where you tell the course what must be completed to receive credit for the course--could be quiz, forum, etc or some combination; could be a course grade (I don't ever use course grade because it has caused me some trouble...). 

If you see Course completion but no activities are available, you'll need to set activity completion in the relevant activities & resources--to do this edit the activity and the last section on the form should be Activity Completion--there are generally 3 options: Do not report completion, Students can manually mark the activity as complete or Show activity as complete when conditions are met (and you have to check the completion requirements, depending on the activity).

Third...You should have a block called Course Completion Status in your course.  This is a stand alone block at may be at the bottom unless you've re-positioned it.  It will show one of four messages, depending on course conditions: Course completion is not enabled (tracking isn't turned on in the course settings), No completion criteria set (tracking is on but you have not set completion criteria), You are currently not being tracked by completion in this course (completion criteria is set but you are not a student, therefore will not show up on the list--if you are the teacher, this is normal and correct) and a message that provides status (this indicates where you are in courses you are a student in).  If you are a student and a teacher (this happens for me a lot--government training requires the teacher to also complete the training), you'll have a link in the last two that links you to all reports, only a student gets just a link to their own stuff.

Fourth...reports.  In Course Administration->Reports, there are Activity reports and Activity completion reports.  You would not be able to run them by specific month but you could run them for always, download them to csv and then turn on filters and filter by date range in your spreadsheet software.  This is what I do a lot--not for dates, but for other information.  Each activity should also have some reporting (Lesson's reporting is pretty rudimentary, but everything else gives pretty decent reports).

I don't know which Certificate module you are using--there is more than one.  The one I use (just Certificate) displays the number of issued certificates when you access the activity as a Teacher.  If you save the certificates, it will allow you to view a list of these issued certificates.

Whew!  I hope this is helpful.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Rachel Orritt -

Thanks so much for your reply Melanie. I'm going to follow your number system so I don't get mixed up:

1. I am an administrator (and have both site and course permissions) - so do you think some options aren't showing up because I'm not a teacher, even though I am an admin? If so is it possible to be both a teacher and an admin (I think I am both a student and an admin, because I am enrolled on the courses I administrate, but I may just be getting mixed up about that)

2. I see the block for course completion option. When I click on it I have 'course is complete when all conditions are met' but under my activity completion condition it says: 'Completion information is not enabled for any activity, so none can be displayed. You can enable completion information by editing the settings for an activity.' - I think this is the part I'm currently stuck on - I can't find how to enable completion information (have looked in site admin>plugins>activity modules>manage activities - is there another place that activity settings can be edited? - I can't find the bottom section that you talked about with the three options)

3. When I turn on the course completion block, it displays 'No completion criteria set for this course' which I can understand given my problems on point 2. 

4. In Course Administration>Reports, I just have 'Activity reports', no 'Activity completion reports'. I don't think I can download the data from activity reports, but I may be wrong. So far I just see how many times each element has been viewed since the course was released.

And on the certificate front, I am using mod_certificate, but I don't think this is showing up as an activity. To my knowledge Moodle is issuing certificates to people who complete this course, but I don't see anywhere that I can access this information. (I am quite new to Moodle so it may be that I'm just not familiar enough with where everything is yet)

Thanks again for taking the time to talk me through this, 

Best wishes,

Rachel

In reply to Rachel Orritt

by Melanie Scott -

Thanks for the clarification...

1. Yes, you can have multiple roles.  And, if you only have one account, you should. Sometimes not having a specific role (even though you have your inherited, all-powerful role) can make it hard to do specific tasks.  I just taught a group about that yesterday and they got the fabulous experience of shifting between roles.  Repeatedly.  smile It got so frustrating for me that I created a student account for myself and keep my admin account totally separate from it.

2. Ah ha!  This is the issue--your activities aren't able to report, so you class can't even begin to determine what completion means.  You're thinking too big--you've been looking for site solutions when it is course/activity that is the problem.  Go to the activity (quiz/lesson/scorm, whatever).  Edit the settings.  The last option: Activity completion. it should look sort of like this (there will be differences, depending on the activity type...I think this is from assignment):

Edit Activity activity completion

You'll have two other options in the completion tracking area: Do not indicate activity completion (what is currently selected) and Students can manually mark the activity as completed. Once you choose what/how to indicate completion, when you go to Administration->Course completion, those activities should appear on the Condition: Activity completion list.

3...that's exactly it.

4.  You are correct--the activity reports don't download.  The activity completion reports do, once activity completion is set for the activities.  If you run the logs for the course, those can be downloaded, too.  But logs are pretty extensive and don't necessarily show the whole picture (you'd think they would but sometimes...I don't know.  Weird).

5.  Hmm. I *think* you're using the same one as me, just a version up.  I don't know of any way for it to issue a certificate without being an activity in the course.  You're sure it is giving people certificates? How do they get them? The activity can be seen in Site Administration->Plugins->Activity modules and should be visible.  The way mine works is that I say, hey, give a certificate when these activity restrictions are met (otherwise, it would give a certificate whether they finished or not...yikes!).  Maybe you use badges?

In reply to Melanie Scott

by James Todd -

It may be mentioned in the responses above but I'll add.

You need to run the cron for completions to update.

site admin > notofications

In reply to James Todd

by Melanie Scott -

Heh.  Yeah, that, too.  Mine quit running a couple days ago and people only started complaining after I figured it out.  Still don’t know why or what to do to fix it...