Multiple Choice Questions Scoring Issue

Multiple Choice Questions Scoring Issue

by Kathryn Bishop -
Number of replies: 0

Hi all,

I am using Moodle 2.4.1 (Build: 20130114).

All multiple choice questions (MCQs) have a fault in which the user can select all possible answers (correct and incorrect), and the quiz will pass them on the question. The quiz seems to only recognise that they have selected all of the correct answers without taking into account that they have also selected the incorrect answers.

When researching how to resolve this I am presented with two options:

1) Negative Scoring

2) Customised 'All or Nothing' plugin

Implementing negative scoring also doesn't seem like an accurate scoring solution as whatever score they receive on the MCQ will impact the overall scoring. For example; if they score a -1 on a MCQ the overall quiz score will have -1 points deducted from their overall quiz score rather than receiving a 0.

For example: The 'normal' way is each side, correct, and incorrect = 1. Therefore if you have 5 answers, 4 are correct, 1 is incorrect. You would have:

Correct:

4 answers. Total 1. 1 divided by 4 = 0.25 per question. 

Incorrect

1 answer. Total 1. 1 divided by 1 = -1 per question. 

Answer:

You answer 2 correct, 1 incorrect = (2 x 0.25) - 1 = -0.5

If the number of incorrect answers increases to 2 you would find:

Correct:

3 answers. Total 1. 1 divided by 3 = 0.33 per question. 

Incorrect

2 answer. Total 1. 1 divided by 2 = -0.5 per question. 

Answer:

You answer 2 correct, 1 incorrect = (2 x 0.33) - 0.5 = +0.16

This solution isn't ideal because if any MCQ is unweighted, eg. there are more correct answers than incorrect answers, the user would be dis-proportionally punished if they get the MCQ wrong.

Option 2 of implementing the customised 'All or Nothing' plugin seems like the best option, however I would appreciate it if anyone knows of anything else that we could try instead.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -