Course with multiple single simple discussion forums

Course with multiple single simple discussion forums

by Adrian D -
Number of replies: 2

I'd like to set up a course that allows users to comment on the text posted. I'm new to Moodle Cloud and the only resource I could find that does what I want is the forums, specifically the single simple discussion forum.

I'm thinking of creating single simple discussions instead of pages. I haven't found anything on this online. Am I missing something? Is there a better alternative I am overlooking?

Many thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian D

Re: Course with multiple single simple discussion forums

by Adrian D -

Hi everyone,

This question has been moved from another forum and got buried in the process. 

Can someone please advise on how to provide a reading topic where students can ask questions and reply to one another? 

What is the pedagogical reasoning behind not having pages with comments?

Thank you!

In reply to Adrian D

Re: Course with multiple single simple discussion forums

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Adrian,

As you mention in your original post, you can do what you want with single simple discussion forum.

You can also provide text that students can comment on by using the Content Pages (mod_icontent) plugin.

You can use a database activity so that anyone can post a question and then others can make comments.

The HotQuestion plugin can be used too, with the teacher asking the question and students making comments. They can also vote on best answers or any answer. Comments can be anonymous if the activity is set to allow for it.

One advantage of using HotQuestion, the teacher can easily save and then remove inappropriate comments, which you cannot do with the database. Comments can also be removed from Content pages and Forums.