Generic password AND email

Generic password AND email

by Brian Bell -
Number of replies: 4

Is it possible to upload multiple users all with the same generic password AND still send the new user email? Right now, the email goes out but Moodle is generating the password. Moodle 3.3.1

Thanks,

Brian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Bell

Re: Generic password AND email

by Brian Bell -

Thank you for your reply. My issue is that many of my users have hotmail, yahoo or gmail accounts and the automated Moodle email is often flagged as spam. When my users don't get their email, I get a phone call as they need their login credentials. Rather than having to look it up, it'd be great if I had a generic username format (which I have) and password. I could then send them a form email - looking to save time! As it is, I have to enter Moodle, determine their credentials and then email the information to them.

Brian

In reply to Brian Bell

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not an expert on this topic, but it appears that your server might not have DKIM and SPF enabled.

I have many users using hotmail, yahoo, and gmail, and they seem to be getting Moodle's emails.

Have you been using self-enrollment?

In reply to Brian Bell

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Rick is probably correct in that your Moodle servers doesn't have the types of DNS records mail servers would check for spam.   While you could run your own mail server on the Moodle server (configured just for sending, not receiving) that's yet another level of server admin and in some cases provider might restrict.

OR, one could use an SMTP relay service.   One such is Sendgrid (is one of two suggested by RackSpace as an example).

Please see: https://sendgrid.com/pricing/

If you are not using forced subscriptions to forums and you have very little forum usage on your Moodle, think you might not reach levels where the 'freebie for life' SendGrid account would kick in fees.

'spirit of sharing', Ken