Themes

Fordson V1.6.0 Discussion and Support Thread

Picture of Chris Kenniburg
Fordson V1.6.0 Discussion and Support Thread
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Fordson 1.6.0 introduces three new style presets: Corporate Learner, University Learner, and Dearborn Public Schools.  I also wrote up some documentation for the theme and "recommended settings" for each individual preset so that you can get the best style results.

New Style Presets

Corporate Learner:  Very simple, no background image preset. Most colors are tied to 2 settings: Brand Primary and Body Background Colour. Changing these two colors will drastically alter the look of the page. Designed to be distraction free with minimal color. This preset gives you all the features of Fordson with the simplicity of the Boost theme.

University Learner:  This new preset is a beautiful full-screen design with a university in mind. You can get interesting results by adjusting the Header Image Height to minimize or make larger the header image. Minimal use of color makes customization a breeze. Pick the Brand Primary and away you go.  Course activities are listed in a styled box that helps the student focus on tasks.

Dearborn Public Schools: This is our namesake preset that was going to be kept internal.  We shared it anyways because I really like it.  Custom Header Images are used only on the main course page. Once in an course activity the image is hidden and content is up at the very top of the page.  This maximizes learning screen space without compromising style and personalized courses for teachers.  It is recommended that you use the slideshow option for the homepage to add a visual element.  This is also a full-width preset which also has unique styling for course topic headings, course activity lists, quizzes, and other elements.  Smooth and stylish with minimal color.

Get the most out of Fordson.  Check out the theme Documentation:  View the documentation 

If you have questions or issues with Fordson 1.6.0 or newer please post here.  This is the discussion thread linked to the plugin page.  

The screenshot is an example of the Dearborn Public Schools preset.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Re: Fordson V1.6.0 Discussion and Support Thread

In the Fordson 1.6.1 release we will be introducing a new feature that is just amazing and was first seen in the Moove theme.  We absolutely love the way the Moove theme displays a progress bar for each topic when a course is set to show one topic per page.  

We do a lot of training and this is a feature that allows a learner to quickly see what topics require their attention in a course.  The Moove theme puts these topic sections into 2 columns where we do not with Fordson.  With Fordson we keep it true to Boost core with a single column and only add in the progress display.  We also show the number of activities in each topic as well as the count of completed activities.

I created a short video to showcase some of the new features coming in future 1.6.0 releases as well as the new presets.  Our namesake Dearborn Public Schools preset will most likely become the default in a future release.  

Watch the video:

Average of ratings: -

Version 1.6.1 has been released.  In this version we made the Dearborn Public Schools preset the default. 

VERSION 1.6.1 PRESETS - In this release we changed our default preset to be Dearborn Public Schools. We renamed the previously named default presets to:

1. default.scss  =  K-12.scss
  2. default_x   =  K-12 Vertical Block TItle
  3. default fullscreen header image  =  K-12 Fullscreen Header Image

Basically the previous presets named default were changed to "K-12". 

A new default background image was also included in this release. 

Topic summary page now includes a Progress bar if using course completion for students.  Show one topic per page is the setting to see this. 

1.6.3 Adds Favicon Support

Version 1.6.3 now includes Favicon support.  From the Fordson Admin settings you can upload a favicon for the site.

Picture of Polaris Lee
broken login

It does not seem to be a problem with the fordson theme.

It also happens in 'fordson' theme based on the boost theme.

It is a symptom after DB repair a while ago.

Does anyone know a solution?

Below are screenshots and debug messages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The course title box overlaps on mobile.

The course title box overlaps on mobile.

Landscape grows strangely on desktop login.Landscape grows strangely on desktop login.

• line 364 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node->add_node()
  • line 353 of /theme/fordson/lib/fordson_lib.php: call to navigation_node->add()
  • line 297 of /theme/fordson/lib/fordson_lib.php: call to fordson_navigation_custom_menu_item()
  • line 57 of /theme/fordson/layout/columns2.php: call to fordson_local_navigation_extend_navigation()
  • line 1261 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 1191 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line 116 of /admin/settings.php: call to core_renderer->header()
Navigation node intersect: Adding a node that already exists 9
  • line 889 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 388 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node_collection->add()
  • line 364 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node->add_node()
  • line 353 of /theme/fordson/lib/fordson_lib.php: call to navigation_node->add()
  • line 297 of /theme/fordson/lib/fordson_lib.php: call to fordson_navigation_custom_menu_item()
  • line 57 of /theme/fordson/layout/columns2.php: call to fordson_local_navigation_extend_navigation()
  • line 1191 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
Navigation node intersect: Adding a node that already exists 8
  • line 442 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node_collection->add()
  • line 445 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node->build_flat_navigation_list()
  • line 3884 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node->build_flat_navigation_list()
  • line 771 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to flat_navigation->initialise()
  • line 820 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to moodle_page->magic_get_flatnav()
  • line 65 of /theme/fordson/layout/columns2.php: call to moodle_page->__get()
Navigation node intersect: Adding a node that already exists 9
  • line 442 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node_collection->add()
  • line 445 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node->build_flat_navigation_list()
  • line 3884 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to navigation_node->build_flat_navigation_list()
  • line 771 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to flat_navigation->initialise()
  • line 820 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to moodle_page->magic_get_flatnav()
  • line 65 of /theme/fordson/layout/columns2.php: call to moodle_page->__get()

Re: broken login

Hopefully someone else might know how to fix this.  I cannot get my site to do this.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Re: broken login
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Can you post the error messages that occur when you are not using Fordson - switch to Boost for example...what version of Moodle?

Picture of sergio paiva

Hi Chris

Thank you for your wonderful work.

I have a doubt, I believe that simple for you. Using the E-learner scss preset, how to leave only the course header image, only in the course area, and not in the other moodle site sessions?

Sérgio

Sergio,

The elearner preset uses images in course summary files that are used as full-screen backgrounds.  If you do not want to allow teachers to customize their course using course summary files then you can turn this feature off for the entire site.  Once you turn this off you can use a single image for every course on your site.

Go to Appearance > Fordson > Custom Image Settings and uncheck "Show Course Images".  Then you can upload a Default Header Image and it will be used across the entire site.

Chris

Picture of sergio paiva

Sorry Chris, I made a mistake on the preset. What I'm using is Corporate Learner.

I want to keep the summary image only for the courses. And remove the banner and margin-top in every session of the site.

Something like:

div # learningcontent2 {

position: relative;

/ * margin-top: $ headerimagepadding; * /

But if I apply it, I lose the images of the courses.

I am not so sure this is corporate learner.   It looks like you've made some changes.  

Corporate learner doesn't use header images.  

Is it possible you are using this preset with another theme?

Picture of sergio paiva

Yes, excuses ... again. I cleared the cache.

I'm working from preset University learner :/

Picture of Janez Troha

Hi Chris

Thank you for awesome theme.

We use Fordson theme with Corporate Learner preset on Moodle 3.4+. In Content Areas Frontpage Authenticated User and Frontpage Visitor textboxes we have some text with small site logo image at the end. At fresh instalation text and image were shown ok, but after changing logo image there is only broken link for that image shown. In editor images are shown correctly. Can we use pictures in this textboxes or are we limited to text only?

You can use images but they must be hosted outside of moodle in this particular textbox.  You can always add the images in  a folder on your server and use them with the text editor where it asks for an image url.

This particular textbox will not allow you to use uploaded image files in the atto editor.  

Picture of Janez Troha

Chris, thanks. It works fine now.