Publishing Mobile Friendly Scorm Packages using Adobe Captivate

Publishing Mobile Friendly Scorm Packages using Adobe Captivate

by John Colmenares -
Number of replies: 9

Hey everyone, just curious if anyone has had any experience converting scorm packages to HTML5 using Adobe Captivate. We are considering purchasing Captivate at the company I work for, so we can convert our SCORM Packages and make them more accessible. Right now our packages require the use of Adobe Shockwave, which only works on 32 bit browsers (Internet Explorer in our case). We want to convert our SCORM Packages to HTML5 so they will work on 64 bit browsers and iPads. The only way I know how to do this is by converting the packages to HTML5 with Adobe Captivate and publishing them to mobile devices using Adobe PhoneGap. Has anyone done this? If you have done this, how did it work out for you? Is there any alternatives methods that are better/easier? Anything I need to be wary of? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Colmenares

Re: Publishing Mobile Friendly Scorm Packages using Adobe Captivate

by John Colmenares -

Also can anyone make the distinction between PhoneGap and PhoneGap Build for me? Seems to me like they have the same function but PhoneGap Build is cloud based and therefore limits the size of your apps and is subscription based. Can I do what I need to with either or do I need PhoneGap Build?

by Derek Chirnside -

John, you may find some interesting reading in this thread.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=339315

Mobile friendly SCORM may be an oxymoron.  But I am not an expert.  smile

Please report back if you find some interesting data.

The way I approached this was

1. Contact supplier/vendor
  2. Get a well formed SCORM (ie they give it their best shot)
  3. Deploy in Moodle.
  4. Ask: is this going to work for us?

Good luck

-Derek

PS: Dan Marsden may be a good point of contact.  He works for the wonderful guys at Moodle Partners Catalyst, and is an efficient and effective coder with a great (huge!) background knowledge of SCORM and a little money spent consulting with him may be good value.  Note: I have no connection with Catalyst and they don't pay me to say this.

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by John Colmenares -

Thanks for the reply Derek, we took a similar approach but the we realized it wasn't going to work for us and we want to be able produce SCORM package on our own in the future so we figured we might as well start with this.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Derek!

John - I've deleted your duplicate post in the SCORM forum as there was already some discussion here - it's best to have a single thread - someone might move this one to the SCORM forum.

If this is to quickly convert a large number of existing SCORM packages and you have the original captivate authoring files (not just the published SCORM package) then it might be worthwhile getting a new licence of Captivate and republishing the packages to get you up and running quickly.

If you don't have the original authoring files and only have the published zip I don't think Captivate will let you do any conversion at all - you will need to recreate the content.

If you have to recreate the content or are developing new content packages I would advise that you avoid SCORM - the authoring tools are costly, are licensed per-person, SCORM is an old, fragile standard that doesn't play nicely with mobile devices, and developing content packages in Articulate/Captivate usually costs a lot more, and takes a lot more time than developing the content directly within the LMS. Sure you can add nice fly-over effects, and make things spin around on the screen just like lots of teaching staff used to do with powerpoint, but often the effort that often goes into this doesn't improve the learners experience with the content.

Moodle has a great built-in tool called the Lesson module that allows for similar functionality to SCORM packages that let you step through a content package and present quiz style questions, it provides much better reporting and better reliability than SCORM but doesn't have the same built-in animation creation/image creation/editing tools that a SCORM authoring tool would. If you want to have a "photoshop" style content development tool like articulate/captivate you might want to investigate some of the other online content development tools such as h5p and Adapt 

good luck!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by John Colmenares -

Thanks Dan, I didn't know about the SCORM forum until Derek linked me to it, but it might have been a more appropriate place for this post. 

I have a zip file the developer sent me, which is probably the published zip, is it possible to have the developer to send me the the original authoring files? Would I need to essentially remake the packages if the developer sent me the original files?

I have been working on getting our Moodle going off and on for a few weeks and from what I've read and been told I've realized that SCORM packages are not the way to go, but the files were already made before I was put on this project so I don't have much choice. The Lesson Module in Moodle does seem much easier to use. Just for my own knowledge, is it possible to upload a Powerpoint with audio using the Lesson Module.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

you can ask them to supply you with the original files, but it may depend on the contract you had with them to create the content in the first place. If they have used another product to create the SCORM packages you would need to have a license of that product - Captivate can't open files from Articulate etc.

I'm not aware of a tool that lets you automatically convert a Powerpoint slide deck to a lesson module but often these automated tools generate ugly content and it can be better to do the manual conversion yourself.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by John Colmenares -

Ok, I'll have to look into our contract. I'm pretty sure they use Captivate since they recommended it to me. 

Do you know much about using PhoneGap? I may be more worried about that than Captivate. I'm still not sure if I need PhoneGap Build or if I could just use PhoneGap, which is free. I also don't know if ill need to do anything in PhoneGap or if I just need a login to publish to mobile devices with Captivate.

by Dan Marsden -

I haven't used Phonegap like that - from the quick reading I've done it looks like Captivate lets you export the package to Phonegap but I can't see any way for grading/activity completion to be tracked within your LMS if the package sits in phonegap - looks like it's a way to have your content published if you don't need to track completion within your LMS.

If you need to track completion in your LMS and are using Captivate I think you have to publish as a SCORM package and then load it in the LMS (not using phonegap at all?) - but I could be wrong, maybe a user of Captivate might be able to comment further?

by Amy Groshek -

You can always export the PPT to some sort of file and present it in Moodle courses using the file resources type. Then pair it with a quiz or a lesson to do assessment. Not as elegant, but reliable.