Assign unique codes to students

Assign unique codes to students

by M Horn -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All

Scenario: We use e-books and receive the unique e-books codes for all students from the publisher. Each student has more than one e-book and of course each e-book code can only be used by a single student (and we would like to keep track of which code was assigned to which student).

Currently we're using the tedious process of doing a mail merge with the codes (and student details) in an Excel, merge to Word and then email out.

The plan: I'm looking for a way to do this inside Moodle. Something in the line of: students get access to a module from where they download, view, get an email with their unique e-book codes once they access the module, enroll in themselves in the module, complete an activity etc.

We also need to keep track of codes that were not used by a specific group of students, so that it can be allocated to another group using the same e-books.

Do any of you know of a plugin that could assist us with this? (I've tried playing around with the certificate plugin, but I can't attached my own list of codes/data to it (unless I'm missing something)).

Thank you!

Moodle 3.1.5 currently

Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Horn

Re: Assign unique codes to students

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I wonder if you could use the Choice activity for this? I used to let my students pick from a list of cartoon pictures to use for profile pictures. I would put a link to the pictures and have the Choice activity set to allow for only one person to pick each picture. Worked fine on the small scale situation I was in of 16 or less students per period, five periods per day, for the school year.

I also wonder, if you could set up the database activity for this, put in a couple of sample entries, then export them to a csv file. Once you see how the file looks, you could then import a file with all the info in it. If you can include the User and Username you should then be able to make it so students only see "their" entry.

In reply to AL Rachels

by M Horn -

Thank you, I'll play around with Choice and Database. (The students should, however not be able to see all the codes, only the ones assigned to them. Otherwise they start to use other student's codes which would result in chaos)

The other tricky think I forgot to mention was: We do not know who the students are yet. They are applying to study with us and our application system then automatically gives them access to their Moodle courses once they reach a certain stage in their application process. So as they enter the Moodle course they should be able to access their codes.

M

In reply to M Horn

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Since you don't want students to see other codes, that eliminates using Choice.

Haven't the time to experiment, but the fact that you can make a database activity visible only to the user who made the entry should be doable with a properly construct csv file for import. The tricky part is going to be, We do not know who the students are yet. You might be able to do multiple imports to a DB activity with an updated csv file import, but like I say, I just don't have time to play with it right now to know for sure.