"Server" requirements for Mac OS X 10.2x

"Server" requirements for Mac OS X 10.2x

by Marian Jackson -
Number of replies: 2
I have installed Moodle (1.1.1) on an old Powerbook G3 running OS X 10.2.6. I was quite pleased to successfully install and configure after only 2 evenings of effort (PHP, MySQL and Moodle). I have begun to play around with my Moodle settings, started a test course and have realized that I'm not receiving emails. I have run cron.php from the web interface and receive error messages.

Then I had the "duh", revelation that this was a single user computer and not a fully configured server. I presume that I need to implement sendmail or some other mailer function. Are there any alternatives to this approach? I would like to limit the services available on this development system. Being in a university settting, I don't want to unneccesarily duplicate services available on our IT-supported servers (e.g. email)

Beyond email, are there any other functions that will be required that I should install and/or activate? Any advice would be appreciated.

Marian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marian Jackson

Re: "Server" requirements for Mac OS X 10.2x

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No problem - instead of relying on the internal sendmail system, just point to a local smtp host to send mail with.  You can configure this on the Admin -> Configuration -> Variables page.

The only other thing you probably need to check is that GD is working  ... try uploading a picture for yourself.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: "Server" requirements for Mac OS X 10.2x

by Marian Jackson -
Closing the loop: I had in fact configured the local smtp host and GD was working. When forum posts didn't get emailed, I mistakenly concluded that I needed to run mail services on the same machine as moodle. I spoke with my IT support person and found out what the problem was on the mail system. It is now working and I am getting ready to invite several colleagues to check out my installation of moodle and see what we can accomplish educationally.

Thanks,
Marian