Collect all course links to single page/topic

Re: Collect all course links to single page/topic

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

A lot depends upon your situation, but I will offer some of my ways just to help you think about what might work for you.

When I want to do what you seem to want to do, I have to rely on external methods.

Example 1: I want a one page summary of what I expect students to do.

I use a Resources webpage that looks like this.  You might see that I spread things out into steps, but you can easily create a section saying "All PDF's."  I create this webpage using Dreamweaver, and all the link within it are to resources external to my Moodle.

Example 2: I want to collect all resources that I have created as "extra" items.

I use a "Class Notes" webpage that looks something like this.  I manage this webpage with Dreamweaver, and the resources are external to my Moodle.

Example 3: I want to collect all videos that I have released to date for students to find in one place.

I use RSS feeds for my videos.  I manage an RSS Feed in both Dreamweaver and a product called "FeedForAll".  With "FeedForAll, it is easy to have it not only update my .xml feed, but it can easily create a HTML webpage (based upon a template.)  So the one place webpage ends up looking like this.  Of course, I am using this technique for videos.  But I am confident that the xml file can easily point to PDF files and other types of files.

Within Moodle, I can create a URL Resource and point it to any of these webpages.

Well, what you see me doing is managing my course resources externally.  Many of these resources , if I sucked them into moodle, would increase the database size dramatically, and cause headaches for my backups.  I run my own small moodle on a VPS, so space is always a concern (I pay for my own server, and I do not have unlimited funds.)

You might also note that my method allows me to easily share information with people like you!  Notice, you didn't have to log into my moodle.  There is a lot of flexibility with this approach, but you have to also have a good file management discipline otherwise you will go crazy keeping track of what is where.

Help this helps you think through your own needs.