v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

by Jens Andersson -
Number of replies: 8

We are planning to upgrade from 3.0.9 to 3.3.2. In that process we are testing to port the 3.0.9 database and files to the 3.3.2 version. We then run into problems with PDFs uploaded and/or annotated in the earlier version. The error message when trying to open an annontated PDF is "Cannot open the PDF. The file may be corrupt, or in an unsupported format.". Student's initial upload, not annotated PDFs are empty when opened within moodle, and also when downloaded to and displayed with Acrobat on the client host.

Haven't found any info regarding incompatibilities regarding PDFs. Any hints are most welcome.

//Jens

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jens Andersson

Re: v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

My assumption is that you have done something wrong in creating the test site. Can you see *any* files that have been uploaded?

In reply to Howard Miller

Svar: Re: v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

by Jens Andersson -

Yes, I can open and see content of a few of the files. But certainly not all. Files that I as manager have uploaded are among those files that open but show no content. Files annotated by me cannot be opened at all.

//Jens  

Re: Svar: Re: v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Couple of possibilities I can guess at...

1.  When you migrated the moodledata folder, files were corrupted.  I have seen this happen quite a bit with migrations.

2.  You have moved the site but not run the replace.php on the database causing an incorrect file url.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

by Jens Andersson -

We were not aware of replace.php ...

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Found at yoururl/admin/tool/replace/index.php - will search your database for old url and replace with new url.  

Re: Svar: Re: v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

by A. Obeid -
does the file name contain non Ascii Letters? for exampl umlaut?

In reply to A. Obeid

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: v3.3.2 cannot read v3.0.9 PDFs

by Jens Andersson -

The files I tested only had file name characters from the ASCII table.

//Jens