Previous / Next buttons in 3.4

Previous / Next buttons in 3.4

by Ed Beck -
Number of replies: 0

I'm working on MDLQA-10999 

It is specific to the new (reintroduced?) next and previous buttons in Moodle 3.4.

Right now, the patch has been very logical about how to deal with a variety of issues. For example, even if a file resource is set to "force download" if trying to navigate to it with the next/previous button, you still get a landing page with the link, because otherwise it would break up your flow of being able to move forward and back. I think that is logical and helpful.

Slightly more problematic are issues like:

1. How should labels be considered by Left/Right navigation?
  2. How should documents with an access restriction, that are visible to students be treated?
  3. If the next activity is only available through manual completion tracking, should there be a way to mark the current activity or resource completed without returning to the course homepage?
1) I would argue that labels need to be displayed using the previous next navigation. I know the faculty where I work are used to adding little bits of information, links or text into their courses using labels. Recently in Moodle, drag and dropping of images, and media files, the default action is to create a new label, with that media embedded into the course page. In addition, since 3.3 stealth activities can be created that are linked either through URLs or more commonly through labels. Those additions have enabled faculty to use more and more labels.

2) Right now if a document has an access restriction, even if it is visible to students, next/previous navigation will skip over it and automatically go to the next piece that the user actually can view. I think that this behavior should be changed to showing the student a page with the item, and the restriction to prompt them to do whatever it is they need to do.

3) To me this is the least important of my points, but like the above two things, it can mean that the next document is actually skipping over several items with restrictions on them.

I worry that students will miss things through this next/previous navigation without even realizing it. 

Can some more people weigh in, about what the desired behavior should be? I made a comment on MDL-59612.

I think how this is addressed will be important to how useful this new feature is in 3.4.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)