Missing update buttons

Missing update buttons

by Tarik S -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, We have the new update notifications enabled and it has the check updates button, and says there is an update, but there's no where i can see install updates button. 

• I've checked all permissions to folders and moodledata
  • not disabled in config
  • curl enabled etc
  • Enabled update notification options, in admin

Using self hosted, on my own server
Running : Moodle 3.3+ (Build: 20170601)

Any ideas? is there anything i have to enable to get the button showing (as i mentioned already enabled the update notifications options,)

Attachment 2017-10-17 03_33_38-Administration_ Server_ Update notifications.png
Attachment 2017-10-17 03_34_21-Administration_ Notifications.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tarik S

Re: Missing update buttons

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

That's accurate and not an omission or issue with your server.   One has never been able to update/upgrade Moodle from within Moodle.

However, having said that, by far the most efficient/easiest and most accurate (if one doesn't have local customizations) is via git.   Emphasis on "most efficient/easiest and most accurate" ... others will probably share their way now that I've mentioned git.  

Catch 22 is ... the moodle would have had to be installed via git ... or one needs to sideload and then setup the moodle to use git to update/upgrade.  That, however, is not 'rocket science'! ;)

For more info, please see:

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Git_for_Administrators

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Tarik S -

Hi Ken,

In the Docs there's a whole section dedicated to automatic update deployment

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Automatic_updates_deployment

Missing install button

If the updates deployment feature is not enabled (or if it is disabled in the config.php file), no button to install the update is displayed. When the feature is enabled, the page displaying the list of available updates performs some pre-checks to make sure the deployment will work. If a pre-check fails, information with a help pop-up is displayed. 

Isnt this what its about?

In reply to Tarik S

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I couldn't have put it more simple than Emma! +1

First time I saw the term 'mdeploy' I also had a misconception ... thought I might be able to build a moodle to a point and then share that to whomever had the download link.   You might think of it as from the perspective of the 'moodle store' where one can find plugins (extra mods/blocks/themes/code customizations,etc.) - deploys from moodle code/plugins server.

Still though ... mdeploy is the way to update ... IMHO ... 3.3.x has much better checking on the compatibility of what you are about to install or update/upgrade.   Doing it manually or drag and drop still has the potential for human error.

As is good practice, best to do a minimal site backup of code and DB before pulling the trigger on any update/upgrade ... be that plugin or site.

For that one could easily create a bash shell script(s) and those could be accessed via the web if one built a local_snapshot plugin.

Realize that's more than you wanted, but thought I'd throw that out there! ;)

'spriit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)