Do I have the correct understanding?

Do I have the correct understanding?

by Ira Smith -
Number of replies: 4

I wanted to ask the following question to ensure that I had the proper understanding of something, so here goes.

If I had a course that I would be be offering many times, and I did not want any of the prior offerings student data and other activities that went on during the course visible for later offerings of the course, would I use the backup option within the course after I first set it up and then used the restore option within the course at the end to get back to square one again?

I wanted to ask this question not only to verify that my understanding was correct on that point, but to also find out that if that was correct, then the restore of the initial course backup would remove the students as well from the course.  Is that also correct?

My point for asking the second question would be that I may want to charge for some of the courses and in doing so would not want users to be able to repeat the course multiple times while paying only once for it.

Thanks,

Ira

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ira Smith

Re: Do I have the correct understanding?

by Steve Hyndman -

Hello Ira,

You could do that or you could back-up and/or restore without user data at any time. Just do a back-up of a course and you will see that you have many options to include or exclued virtually anything in the course...the same when you restore. Once I complete a course then I back it up and restore it for the next time...that way, I always have any changes to content I may have made during the course.

Nashville...a great city!

Steve 

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Ira Smith -

Steve,

Thank you for the explanation and I do see your point of doing the course backup without user data and being able to capture any content changes made during the term of the course. 

It certainly does help to have forums such as this where this type of question can be asked and input can be given.  It helps to view things from a different angle like this to discover new ways of doing things.

And by the way, I checked your site out and some of the other sites associated with it, very good work.  I also had to chuckle a bit when I looked at your profile.  I'm not a native Nashville person, I'm actually from Kentucky, moved to Nashville about twelve and a half years ago.  So it is a small world after all (grin).

Ira

In reply to Ira Smith

by Steve Hyndman -

smile....by the way...nice postnuke site.

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Ira Smith -

Thanks for the compliment.  I've got to get busy working on PostNuke .761 documentation as there were a lot of changes between .750 and .761.  Don't want the site to become too outdated smile

Ira