Host a moodle web site to live server from localhost

Host a moodle web site to live server from localhost

by Chinthaka Ranathunga -
Number of replies: 4

I am new user of moodle 3.3.2. I was downloaded moodle 3.3.2 and installed it on to localhost.

Now I want to host my web site to the live server. So I want to know, is it possible or not, and how can I host my moodle web site and database to live server (using filezilla) from localhost.

Please I would like to follow step by step instructions, because I am new in here.

If any mistakes in my English I would like to apologize about that.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chinthaka Ranathunga

Re: Host a moodle web site to live server from localhost

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In the documentation, there is a section on migration.  That is what you need.  Then come back if you have specific questions.

In reply to Chinthaka Ranathunga

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

To host your moodle on a live server, you need to have a live server.  It is not clear from your post if you already have a server.  If not, explore the many companies that provide servers.  In general, you will need a VPS or better, depending upon how big and active your moodle is.  So far, you haven't given us much to go on.

Well, explore.  Continue asking questions.

(I am one who has moodle running for myself on a VPS.  I typically do upgrades on my localhost copy, then upgrade my production moodle.  I teach around 12 courses a year, about 400 students per year.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Along the same line as Rick: Is there a specific reason, why you need to run the live Moodle on _your_ server? What server operating system are you familiar with?

Otherwise there are so many mass hosting services, where Moodle is just a "one click" application like many other applications. You can avoid even that by hosting at https://moodle.com/cloud/ - starting at zero price!