Teaching with Moodle

Graphic Organizer

Picture of Brian Casey
Graphic Organizer

Hello everyone!

I am teaching a special education class (elementary) where my students are really struggling with reading and writing and am looking for a way to include a graphic organizer to assist my students in brainstorming before they start writing a story or a response.   Right now, I've been attaching a word document as a file for the assignment, but it's too much work for them to download it, edit it and then upload it again.  Plus, they can't have it open to use when actually writing their story.

Do you have any suggestions on how I might accomplish this inside of Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Graphic Organizer
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Brian,

I used to use the Journal activity for writing activities. I put templates, examples, instructions, etc. in the Journal using a Generico Tabs and Tab Items filter. Using tabs allowed me to add all kinds of help, directions, examples, etc., in to the Journal description without making it have a "scroll-of-death" to contend with.

View when entering the journal assignment:

View when student opens journal entry for editing:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Brian Casey

Wow!  Thank you for your detailed response.  I'm going to try this for this week's work.

Picture of John Doubleday

I have similar students. I use the Drag and Drop Module .....very flexible for images and or text