Moodle 3.3.2 Can't set calculation for new grade item - Bug?

Moodle 3.3.2 Can't set calculation for new grade item - Bug?

by Peter Ward -
Number of replies: 6

In Moodle 3.3.2

Create a new course, or use an existing course that already has manual grade items in it that have a calculation set.

Create a new manual grade.

Select the 'edit' newly created manual grade items and look for the option to 'edit calculation'.

I don't see it.

But in a course that was imported from a Moodle 3.1.1 that already has calculated manual grade items in it, the 'edit calculation' option is accessible.

In reply to Peter Ward

Re: Moodle 3.3.2 Can't set calculation for new grade item - Bug?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am confused as to why you would ever see a calculation for a grade item at all...the grade is coming from what is entered - why would you need a calculation there?  Surely calculations should just be at the category level...what am I missing?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Peter Ward -

Thanks for your reply Emma.

Moodle says: A grade calculation is a formula used to determine grades, based (optionally) on other grade items

There's definitely a use for it, and we have been using this standard moodle feature for many years in earlier version moodles.

See this page.

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Grade_calculations

Please try it on your version of moodle 3.3.2 and see if the 'edit calculation' option appears for the manual grade item.

Cheers.

Peter

In reply to Peter Ward

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

See, I knew I must be missing something - one of those days!  I do indeed see the Edit Calculation option for a manual grade item on 3.3.2 once I turn on Show Calculations on the Grader Report admin settings.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Peter Ward -

Nice one Emma.

Just checked and switched that 'Grader Report admin settings' to 'on'.

I guess what threw me was...

Why were the 'edit calculation' settings shown for existing grade items, but not newly created ones?

It made me think it must be switched on! (but hold on, if they were switched off, why could I see them)

Let me test a bit further.

Cheers

Peter.

In reply to Peter Ward

by Peter Ward -

Emma,

Switching 'Grader Report admin settings' to 'on' achieved the desired affect.

It is now possible to 'edit calculations' of new grade items.

It remains a mystery though as to why existing grade items with calculation could be edited with this 'Grader Report admin settings' set to 'off'.

The moodle default setting is 'on'.

I have tested this on two different 3.3.2 instals on two seperate servers.

One of the 3.3.2's was a clean instal, and on instal this setting is 'off'.

The second 3.3.2 was an existing earlier version moodle with courses in that had, grade items with calculations, and that 'Grader Report admin settings' would have been set to 'on' before it was upgraded. On moodle upgrade the 'Grader Report admin settings' seem to switch to 'off'.

Useful info for anyone following this thread. (and maybe for moodle HQ as these findings seem a bit unexpected)

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction Emma.

Cheers

Peter

PS. Just switched 'Grader Report admin settings' to 'off' again. and still the 'edit calculation' can be seen and edited. Odd?

In reply to Peter Ward

by Emma Richardson -

I would guess that if there is already a calculation in there, Moodle gives you the edit calculation box regardless of the setting.  Which, if that is how that works, is pretty clever really!