How to change default sorting order of student names

How to change default sorting order of student names

by Kristbjorg Olsen -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

The default sorting order of student names is by last name. Is there a way to change this to first name?

Where I work (in Iceland) first name is always used. 

I have found some posts addressing this issue but not found a solution.

I have Moodle 3.3.

Many thanks,
Kristbjörg

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kristbjorg Olsen

Re: How to change default sorting order of student names

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Kristbjörg,

Generally, in most places in Moodle where student names are shown in a list, you can click the heading, First name, to sort the list the way you want. First click will sort a - z, then another click will sort from z - a. The other headings can also be used to sort the list.

Is there a particular place you are interested in?

In reply to AL Rachels

by Kristbjorg Olsen -

Hi Al and thanks,

I know about this. I mean where student names are not shown in a table, like when giving feedback in assignments, clicking the arrows in the top right corner (img). Sorting by first name in the submission table does not affect the order of names there.

I have advised teachers to first, sort by first name in the view all submissions table and then open each students submission in a separate tab, in order to have the submissions in alphabetical order, but I guess this is cumbersome if you have 100-200 students. Sometimes teachers are using the assignment activity to grade something that was not submitted into Moodle, like lectures or experiments for example, in order to use a marking guide or a rubric and I guess then they order their data/papers in alphabetical order according to names.

Kristbjörg

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Kristbjörg,

I was afraid that might be what you meant. I don't know of any way to change the order of that list unless you dig through the code and find where that list is sorted and change it.

Even if you go to User policies and change the Alternative full name format to just show only the, firstname, the names in the  list of students are still in lastname alphabetical order. As an alternative, supposedly if your language pack defines name display, you should be able to just put, language, in the Alternative full name format setting, and get what you need.

Before I retired, the order of that list always seemed to frustrate me, too. What I did to get around it's annoying behavior, was install the Grade Me block, and add it on the front page of the site, with it set to display throughout the entire site. When any users logged in, if they were graders anywhere, and there was something for them to grade, it would be listed and they could be grading in just two clicks. When they saved the graded submission, the updated Grade Me block would be right there and they could go directly to the next person that needed grading. Since ONLY students with submissions needing to be graded are listed in Grade Me, they did not have to "play" with the filter setting for that list.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Kristbjorg Olsen -

Hi Al and thanks for your answer. I will look into this.

Best,
Kristbjörg

by M G -

Hi Kristbjörg,

Are you able to find a solution for this? I am also struggling with this issue. 

Thanks,

Mudit

In reply to M G

by Maria João -

Hi,

I'm also looking for an alternative. I need to sort order to be by identification number of the students. 

Grateful for any help.

Maria

In reply to M G

by Kristbjorg Olsen -

Hi Mudit,

Unfortunately, no. I'm sure there must be a solution somewhere, but I have not been able to spend time on this.

Best,

Kristbjörg