Metacourses inherit separate groups from within a child course

Re: Metacourses inherit separate groups from within a child course

by Dom F -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Mary

I think we have a similar issue. We are going to be upgrading to M3.3 soon HOWEVER for now we are running some pilots in Moodle 2.7

I need to set up a small number (about three)  separate and non-mutually visible groups of users and their teachers.

Question 1

If I create one course, and add users (teachers and students) into three separate and invisible courses and then enroll that course of users (so to speak) into the 9 different (meta) courses, will those meta courses inherit the same properties of users (all of the user in any group will still only be able to see others in that group?)

Question 2

If that course (in calendar format) where the three groups is created, has teachers adding content to the content areas of each section - will that teachers content be invisible to other teachers and students-not-taught-by-that teacher? ie will separate and invisible groups of students-and-their-teachers be able to share the course and all its features (like HTML text areas, assignments etc) all separately?

If the answer to EITHER of these is NO - how might I do this? Simply create a new course for EACH SEPARATE group of teacher/students and then enroll those courses into the 9 meta courses? Or is there a more elegant way?)

Any help appreciated. (also do you do formal consulting work?)

Best

Dom

In reply to Dom F

Re: Metacourses inherit separate groups from within a child course

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Not sure about question 1 but there are ways around that if it does not work that way, which I suspect it does not.  You can use the autogroup plugin to automatically group teachers and students according to a profile field.

Question 2 - the short answer is yes.  You set up your course to separate groups but you also need to remove the permission to see all groups from your teacher role (I recommend creating a new role based on the teacher role and then removing it from the new role so as not to mess with default roles).  That will keep teachers and students separated but they will have access to all content unless you specifically restrict an activity from a certain group.