Possible to hide Group mode icons in course edit mode?

Possible to hide Group mode icons in course edit mode?

by stefan weber -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers

Most of our users preferred the old Moodle layout where it was possible to deactivate the edit dropdown menu and instead show icons for frequently used actions next to all activities when edit mode was turned on. 

Unfortunately, the admin setting that allowed for this has been removed around Moodle 3.x for reasons I never understood, but sadly, requiring ever more clicks for the same actions has been a constant development for the Moodle interface.

Now we are using Moodle 3.3.1 and Boost theme, and the only icon that is still shown next to the edit drop-down menu is the group mode icon:

groupmode

I find this rather inexplicable, as group mode is not a setting that is frequently changed. To make matters worse, I regularly encounter teachers that mistakenly changed the group mode of activities without even noticing, probably because their mouse click missed the "edit" dropdown menu by a bit...

For this reason, Id like to deactivate these group mode icons - is there a way to do this without changing core Boost theme files manually?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to stefan weber

Re: Possible to hide Group mode icons in course edit mode?

by stefan weber -

No replies in a long time... sad

One more try: Im comfortable with editing core Boost theme files, maybe someone could point out to my which file is responsible for rendering the Group Icons?

And maybe also the Dropdown menu for Course settings, as Id also like to customize that.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

In reply to stefan weber

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Stefan,

I guess this is not really a Usability question, but a Themes / CSS question that should be asked in the respective forum. You could ask one of the moderators to move your question there, as it is recommended one does not ask the same question in different places.

I'm sure the expert users in the Themes forum know how to answer your question.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by stefan weber -

thanks for the tip, will do