Restore a sandpit course to the real site

Restore a sandpit course to the real site

by Trang Luu -
Number of replies: 6

Hi there,

Could someone please let me know if there is a way to back up and restore a course built in Moodle sandpit to the real site? If there is, please give me instruction. If there is not, please suggest an alternative solution.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards

Trang Luu

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Trang Luu

Re: Restore a sandpit course to the real site

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Please see either the documentation Course restore or else the video below on Course restore:

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Trang Luu -

Thank you very much Mary and Colin for your responses.

The thing is on the sandpit, I can't be able to find out the Site Administration block, only the Navigation block. I have tried and tried but can't be able to get it. Could you please suggest me a way to get this block up and running? Ah, for your information, the sandpit where the course is created has no relation to our real site. We have a course instructional designer who has built a sample of course structure for us on generic sandpit on the URL:

http://moodlesandpit.com/Courses/login/index.php

And we now want to copy her course structure to our real site. Hope this makes sense to you so you can be able to give me your advices.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Trang Luu

In reply to Trang Luu

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

If you can't find the site Admin menu, it could be located on the left of the screen, hidden, or more likely, you don't have Editing rights to that course. The best thing is to ask the course creator/author for a copy to install on your site. Without that, it is unlikely you will ethically or properly get a copy of the course for yourself. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Trang Luu -

Thank you for the advice Colin. I will contact the designer to find out if the problem is the editing rights.

Kind Regards

Trang Luu

In reply to Trang Luu

by Trang Luu -

Hi Colin, it's definitely the problem of the Editing rights. The account that I have used to access sandpit is not assigned the administration permissions and that's why I cannot see the administration block. It's all sorted out now. I have appreciated all advices from Colin and Mary. Regards. Trang

In reply to Trang Luu

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Easy peasy, as they say. Create a new course in the place you want it. Go to Course Admin > Restore and upload the file you want to use to restore. Select the file then where it asks where you want to restore, use the image below to guide you a little. The options are a little obscure of you are not careful, but it should look like this: 

Restore to this coursejust use the common restore options.

EDIT: or you could do as Mary suggests...smile