Trying to put "£" into equation editor and LaTeX

Trying to put "£" into equation editor and LaTeX

by Scott Summers -
Number of replies: 3
Firstly, whenever we use the built-in equation editor the outcome is font size that is much larger than accompanying text. I have tried to reduce the font size using LaTeX \small \tiny etc. to no avail. This must be a site-wide issue (we only have access to a category). Is there a way to fix this? Secondly, whenever we try to put in the £ symbol into any equation editor or LaTeX we get an [?][?] returned. I have tried using \pounds \textsterling \mathpounds to no avail. I suspect it is a character set issue. Again, this must be site wide. Does anybody have any experience of these issues?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Summers

Re: Trying to put "£" into equation editor and LaTeX

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Scott,

For the size problem, you might check yourmoodle/filter/tex/pix.php line 61. Depending on your Moodle version the line number might be off one or two, but look for '\Large ' and change it as desired and see if that fixes the problem.

As for the £ problem, have you just tried typing the £ character?  \mathbf{£} $$\mathbf{£}$$

Every font I  have looked at, includes it, so it should just work.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Scott Summers -

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not in a position to delve into the code, and I don't think the LaTeX on the site is fully installed as I've tried lots of things from the web that don't want to work on the moodle I am subjected to have to use.

I tried \mathbf{£} and just got [?][?]. Never mind. I don't need it desperately.

In reply to Scott Summers

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

How about create your LaTex with the equation editor, with everything except the £. Once you finish with the equation editor and you are back in the Atto editor, click where you want the £ to be and use the Insert Character tool (Ω) to type the £ there. This method works on my system.