a required field that can't be filled?

a required field that can't be filled?

by reuven spero -
Number of replies: 11

Hi, I am exploring Moodle by myself before taking a course, so my question may be - ok, is - from absolute nubee land.  I am trying to add a resource to a topic.  When I bring up the page to add the file/resource, there is a red circled exclamation mark between Name and the box to fill in the name.  Filling in the name does not make it go away, and there seems no field to fill.  But it prevents me from going back to my course page or doing anything else.  What is the solution?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to reuven spero

Re: a required field that can't be filled?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you take a screenshot of the problem?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by reuven spero -
In reply to reuven spero

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are you saying you can't fill in the name of the resource?  That is just telling you it is required.  It won't go away but if you fill out the required fields, you will be able to save.

In reply to reuven spero

by reuven spero -

it stays the same even after I fill the Name.  I tried using a different browser (changed from safari to chrome) but no difference.

In reply to reuven spero

by reuven spero -

you see that the exclamation mark is over a faint dotted line - but when i click there, there's no option to write.  i take it that your moodle doesn't do this. 

In reply to reuven spero

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Have you uploaded anything into the upload box at the bottom? Your screenshot is of a file resource so you need to give it a title and then upload a file such as a text document or presentation file. Are you able to do that, or are you saying you are not able to type anything into that title box?

I think perhaps you have filled in the name and have not yet uploaded a file, and Moodle is expecting you to upload a file.

In reply to reuven spero

by reuven spero -

so i thought i would be smart and just delete the course and start over again . look what happened:

In reply to reuven spero

by Mary Cooch -

Hello. I'm sorry I can't see what is wrong there?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by reuven spero -

those exclamation marks that won't go away! and won't allow me to continue!

In reply to reuven spero

by reuven spero -

ah, here's something.  when i put the cursor on top of the exclamation mark, it turns to a question mark, but if i click it, it does nothing.

In reply to reuven spero

by reuven spero -

yeah, i gave it a title and uploaded resource material - all that went smoothly.  i feel like trying to erase that exclamation mark off my computer screen!  i'm actually going to try a different computer and see if that makes any difference - you and i both know that it shouldn't, but who knows.