Files won't upload

Files won't upload

by Mark Miller -
Number of replies: 26

I'm using Moodle 3.2.1.  Administration tasks are done in WIN 10.

I tried to upload a 225KB jpg file this afternoon, but I couldn't o it.  I tried the sane fike as a png file; size was decreased to 84KB.

In other cases, the error message was the same "[file type] cannot be uploaded".

I checked the list of files in >server > filetypes; jpg, jpeg, and png were all listed.

If it makes any difference, I am using the "Boost" theme.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: Files won't upload

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Where are you trying to upload the file? What steps are you taking?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Miller -

I'm trying to upload jpg files from my computer to Moodle 3.2 using windows 10.

The jpgs I'm trying to work with will be used on the front page as soon as I figure it out.  Without images to work with, I can't go any further.  The only instructions I could find were for user files upload.

Is system administrator a user?  I don't really want all my users to have access to them.

I also have a bunch of images I'd like to upload for future use.

Several of them will be used in more than one course; is that a problem?

The attached files show the three steps I've taken.

tnx

mark

Attachment imageupload #1.jpg
Attachment imageupload #2.jpg
Attachment imageupload #3.jpg
In reply to Mark Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Aha - you are trying to upload single images into a space that is for bulk uploading profile pictures. It won't upload them because it is expecting a zipped folder of images, connected to the usernames of your Moodle users.

If you want to upload images you can do so in several ways. See Working with files

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Miller -

I'd read through Moodle Docs, but I fear I'm over-looking something.

All the references deal with user files.

Is site administrator a "user"?

I'm trying to upload files that I can use for the logo, a couple I want to use on the front page.

The limited word processor capabilities won't allow me to do what I want to do.  I've attached the file created in word and the jpg.

The solution I came up with was to capture the Word file as a jpg which I then planned on inserting on the front page, but I thought I could upload it to a folder just for me as admin.  I don't want the students to see it.

Attached is the jpg I want to upload to a site administrators folder [or similiar]. 

One thing I have trouble with in Moodle Docs is trying to figure out the actual path to take.  They describe it, but I have a hard time following it.

I appreciate all the help, but might I ask that you provide something like:  site administration > front page> appearance That would be a big help.

tnx

mm

Attachment frontpagelc.jpg
In reply to Mark Miller

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The site administrator is a 'user' and on the front page you can have a single topic (as the front page is in fact a course with the 'site' course format).  There you can add activities / resources just like any other course.  Please look in the front page settings.

In reply to Mark Miller

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In Moodle there are lots of question marks in circles next to things that explain what to do (you can see one on the right of 'Upload user pictures'), also you'll find at the bottom 'Moodle Docs for this page' which in this case links to 'User_pictures'.  This should give you a faster response to the information you need than posting smile.

In reply to Mark Miller

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Just a thought, as I didn't completely finish reading this thread before answering:

Upload user pictures is restricted to .zip only. This is the only way to bulk upload profile pictures for a number of users in Moodle. Make sure all .jpg files are in the following format: {$username}.jpg ==> 123456.jpg or johnjones.jpg

I did notice this is rather unclear in the docs corresponding with this feature: https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/User_pictures

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Files won't upload/Really, really thick

by Mark Miller -

I've read the google docs, watched some how-to videos, and read the section in my Moodle 3 Administration text.  These are the two sites I used.

Everything speaks about the resource of "files" option.

I can't find a 'files' option anywhere.

I'm still where I was -- can't upload a single file -- when I started.

When lost; ask the experts.  That's you.

mm

In reply to Mark Miller

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

One of the videos (at least) look to be for an older version of Moodle .... and the other for Moodle other than a 'stock' (not customized) Moodle?

Please see:

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Mark Miller

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok Mark,

In the 'Front page' (Site administration -> Front page -> Front page settings) settings is the 'numsections' setting ticked?  If not then tick it and save the settings.  Then on the front page....

Adding a file on the front page.

Also is 'File' 'Shown' under 'Site administration -> Plugins -> Activity modules -> Manage activities'?

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mark Miller -

You asked: "Also, is 'File' 'Shown' under 'Site administration -> Plugins -> Activity modules -> Manage activities'?"

No, It's not.

I looked for a "file" plugin on the Moodle repository without success.

I suspect the fact that I can't find it may be part of my problem.

I've attached two screenshots to show you what I have

mm

Attachment admin.jpg
Attachment plugins.jpg
In reply to Mark Miller

by Mark Miller -

Ok.  I kept looking and found the "file" option.  Now what I can't find is the "Add Resource" option.  I have "Add Block"  but I can't find anywhere to open/add a list of resources. I have no idea of what to do next.  Moodle Docs aren't a great help.

thanks.  Again

Mark

In reply to Mark Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Let's take it one step backwards and then go one step at a time:

• All the options for uploading files, activities and so on that you see in the videos are for when you are in  a course and you want to add stuff for your students. Forget these for now.
  • Am I right in thinking you simply want to add some information and an image about your school to the front page?
  • Find the link Site administration and click it. 

• You should see a box Site administration search. Into it, type Front page
  • From the links that then appear, scroll down and you will see "Front page settings"
  • Make sure this has a tick (Include a topic section) and click Save changes:

• Click "Home" or however you go back to your site's front page. Click the gear menu top right and turn on the editing on:

• You will see another little gear icon in the middle of your page towards the top, here:

• Click it and it will open up a box called Summary of Site. In there you can TYPE the words you want and you can click the painting icon in the toolbar to upload an image you want to go with your text.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Miller -

Thanks [again] for all your help.

You asked, "Am I right in thinking you simply want to add some information and an image about your school to the front page?"

At this point, I'm trying to [1] upload individual fills so they are there for whatever use I need later, [2] figure out where "add resource" is - add block is easy to find; add resource doesn't seem to be there, and [3] set-up my Front Page.

[1] added some jpgs to my private files.  That works fine for me.  If down the road a teacher wants to use one of those images, will they be able to reach them?  If not, where should I put them so they are available to teachers, course creators?

[2] I can't find 'add resources' anywhere.

[3]  The more I've tried to get the front page looking like I want the more I screw it up.

The file "[1] site screen not logged in" is what someone sees when they get to olglearningcenter.org.  This isn't the format I want, and I don't like the link at the bottom that allows a user to change the screen by selecting the file.

The file "[2] logged in"is what I want to use for both the login screen as well as the screen after logging in.  I would like to make one change; I would like to add the logo as shown in image [1].  I would then add the announcements and course information.  I'm presuming that once I know how to reach "add resource" that will become easier.

TIA

mark

Attachment [1] site screen - not logged in.jpg
Attachment [2] Logged in.jpg
In reply to Mark Miller

by Mary Cooch -

[1]  upload individual files so they are there for whatever use I need later - Yes. You can use Private files for this, but they are just that: private to you alone.

If down the road a teacher wants to use one of those images, will they be able to reach them?  If not, where should I put them so they are available to teachers, course creators? No. As mentioned above, private files are private to each user. There are ways you can share a folder of files with other teachers but let's first get your front page sorted and then we can come back to that.

[2]  figure out where "add resource" is - add block is easy to find; add resource doesn't seem to be there, Add a resource is in a course, along with Add an activity. Moodle makes a difference between static items such as files or webpages and interactive items such as assignments and discussion forums.  See Resources. For your front page, you don't need this.

[3]  The more I've tried to get the front page looking like I want the more I screw it up. Have you tried the instructions I put in an earlier post?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Miller -

Resources - the moodle admin book I'm using said to use resources to facilitate the 'file' option to upload .  It failed to mention that it was providing directions for a course.

Instructions - they were helpful; I followed them step-by-step.  This is where I screwed up.  I ended up with two front pages: one format for the site before a user logs in and a second format for after a user logs in. I need to resolve the inconsistency. 

I’m not sure how the comments work. I’ve tried embedding the images, but if that doesn’t work, I’ve uploaded the files and used the file names in the text. Some how I ended up with two different front pages.  When you initially arrive at the site [www.olglearningcenter.cc] you see this front page: {file [1]}

Once you login, the front page changes to this: {File[2]}

I can’t determine how the header is achieved.  Is it as simple as a Word Processing header or more complicated like messing with css.  If it’s simple I like the header from file [1]:

The largest problem I have at the moment is that the “add blocks” are not the same for both front pages.

The add block that is included for the front page that is anchored to the left has these options: {File [4]}

The add block options for the centered text is: {File [5]}

This lacks most of the things I want on a home page.

Since I'm limited to three files, I'm sending a second reply with the rest.

Attachment file 1.jpg
Attachment file 2.png
Attachment file 3.jpg
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Miller -

here's the remainder of the files [four and five] as well as a pdf of the entire post.

Hope this makes sense; that's not normally my strong suite.

mark

Attachment file 4.jpg
Attachment file 5.jpg
In reply to Mark Miller

by Mary Cooch -

the moodle admin book I'm using said to use resources to facilitate the 'file' option to upload  Which book is that?  Be careful that Moodle books often can't keep up with Moodle versions.

Your centred text, logged in version here is NOT a page -it is Moodle's display of an image you uploaded.( I recall earlier you uploaded an image with the words and logo, am I right?) 

This is the image shown embedded/That explains why you see different block options - it's not a page. I would remove it, for simplicity's sake as it is confusing things. Turn on the editing on the front page, scroll down and click Edit and then Delete:

Delete item

Header images are controlled by Clicking Site administration and then  Appearance, and then Logos.  I think the full logo shows on the front page and the small logo shows on other pages. Try adding a small logo as well and see if you like that.

In reply to Mark Miller

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mark,

In addition to what Mary is saying.  I notice that you've shown a page that is a 'Site page' in the second screenshot.  Are you sure you're editing the frontpage? i.e. you have 'https://olglearningcenter.cc/?redirect=0' as the URL when editing.

G

by Mary Cooch -

Yes-what Gareth says. Make sure when you are editing the front page you have that URL in your address bar. To repeat what I said before, you need to delete the image you added (in that screenshot with the red circle.) I have replicated it here with instructions how to delete it.

Delete image

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Miller -

Woke up this morning to your email. Followed your directions.  Guess what?  It works!

There may be a way to get the layout I wanted, but making it a JPG obviously isn't the answer.  I'll come back to that at a later time.  I just have to add self-registration by email, and I'm done with the front page.  I think.  

I'm using Moodle 3 Administration by Alex Buchner.  It's published by Packet which I always found to be reliable.

Two final things:

[1] I thought the preset 'morecandy' would give me three columns.  Was I mistaken or have I once again messed up?

[2] The Buchner book provides a set of instructions to allow email based self-registration. An internet search came up with some plugins. Do you have any suggestions?

Now --- it's on to my first course.  That means I have lots more opportunities to mess up!

Thanks for all your help

Mark

In reply to Mark Miller

by Mary Cooch -

[1] I am not  a themer and I dont know much about MoreCandy but hopefully others can advise. 

[2] To enable email based-self registration you need to click the Site administration link and then click the Plugins link and then scroll down to Authentication. Click Manage Authentication and make sure email based self registration has its eye opened in the "Enable" column. THEN (important) scroll down a bit further and where it says Common settings, change the dropdown of Self registration from Disable to Email based self registration and save the changes. (No need for an internet search for plugins)

Also you might in future find the page Admin quick guide useful.

In reply to Mark Miller

Mary/Gareth - A lot dumber than I appear

by Mark Miller -

When I said "it worked"; I lied.

The truth is that the reason it didn't work was that I didn't do something correctly.

I've smooshed four screens into one image.

Slide One is correct; it's what the person should see when the land at alglearningcenter.cc

Slide Two is what I see when I log in as the sysadm.

Slide Three is site home page [This what I thought I'd see when I logged in]

Slide Four is what the student sees when the login [which is nothing.]

I've been reading and researching and have managed to get myself more confused when I started bothering you.

Perhaps my expectations are off-base?

What I THINK should happen is that "slide one" is what everyone sees when they go to the URL

Once logged in, users would see "slide three".

You've already done so several times, but can you bail me out again?

What steps do I need to take so that a login takes the user to a front page that looks like slide three"?

tnx

mark

Attachment 4 screens.JPG
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: Mary/Gareth - A lot dumber than I appear

by Mary Cooch -

As admin, go to Site administration and find the Appearance tab and then click the Navigation link. Then where it says Default home page for users, make sure it says Site.

FYI what you are seeing in 2 and 4 is the default home page (unless you change it) which is the Dashboard. Read the documentation on the 'Dashboard

by Mark Miller -

Woke up this morning to Mary's email. Followed her directions.  Guess what?  It works!

There may be a way to get the layout I wanted, but making it a JPG obviously isn't the answer.  I'll come back to that at a later time.  I just have to add self-registration by email, and I'm done with the front page.  Now --- it's on to my first course.

Thanks for all your help

Mark

In reply to Mark Miller

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mark,

One thought is that it could be a bug in the theme you are using that is removing the 'Add' link.  So what theme and version of are you using please?

Gareth