Quiz Module - Importing ExamView

Quiz Module - Importing ExamView

by Cathy Maher -
Number of replies: 10
Hi, I am not seeing in the import files choices, even the choice for ExamView - what am I missing?  I have tried importing ExamView as an xml with no success.  I know that in the quiz module there is supposed to be a choice for ExamView.  
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cathy Maher

Re: Quiz Module - Importing ExamView

by Paul Edwards -

Cathy:

I have had the same problem.  I have several  question banks in Examview and I really want to import them into MOODLE.  As you report, I had no luck with the Examview XML format option.  So far, I have had some success exporting a question bank from Examview in BlackBoard-6.0 format.  That creates a zip file which you have to unzip and then read the txt file into MOODLE again invoking the Blackboard option.  If any picture files are created during the exporting process, the directory with those picture files must be copied to your server manually.  You will still probably have to do some editing.

Good luck!

Paul Edwards

In reply to Paul Edwards

by Cathy Maher -
Thanks, I thought I was missing something. I have seen other users showing an ExamView choice as an import item in the quiz module. I do not see that - only XML. Cathy
In reply to Cathy Maher

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The ExamView option is fairly limited - it only handles certain question types. Please read the online help for more info.

If you are still stuck, please let me know what Moodle version you are using and attach your file here. I will have a look at the problem as soon as I can.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Cathy Maher -
Hi, I have upgraded to Moodle 1.5.3 and now see the options for importing Examview, HotPotatoes, etc. in the quiz module, however I have a new problem - If I try to import an Exam view, Web Ct, or Hotpotatoes quiz, I get an error that states: "File could not be read, or was empty" and "Error occurred during processing" in the text box below the first message.

I am totally baffled about what to do.  Any ideas?
In reply to Cathy Maher

by Phil Vice -

Cathy,  I too am experiencing the same problem.  Did you find a resolution?

Thanks

Phil

In reply to Phil Vice

by Cathy Maher -
Not as of yet.  I cannot import any type of format in the quiz module.  I have tried to update the module, but I have not been successful.  If I find a way to fix this, I will definitely post it.
In reply to Cathy Maher

by James Bromley -

My install was in windows and I was unable to import ANY quiz types into moodle I was getting an error that said that the file could not be read. It turned out that php was trying to write the files to c:\windows\temp (this is not my servers TEMP or TMP enviroment var.) but that is where it was going, The IIS guest user did not have write permission to c:\windows\temp and that was the problem, I changed the permissions and it started working fine.

James Bromley

Leavenworth, Kansas

In reply to James Bromley

by Cathy Maher -
We have the same problem and cannot import any quiz file types into Moodle.  I am asking our network admin to look into your fix and see if it is the same issue.

Thanks!
In reply to James Bromley

by Cathy Maher -
Hi James,

I also forwarded your fix to another Moodle user, Phil who was having an import problem.  Phil had replied to my post about if I had found a fix.  I just replied back to him about your post and fix.  Thanks for your help.  It is definitely worth looking into to see if that is the same issue. 
In reply to Phil Vice

by Cathy Maher -

Hi Phil,

A few weeks ago, you replied to my post about having a problem importing quiz file types in the quiz module.  You also stated that you were having the same problem.  This was a post that I just saw in the forum by another Moodle user, James Bromley.  I don't know if this will be helpful to you.  I am asking our network admin to check this out and see if it resolves our not being able to import any quiz files into the quiz module.

Sincerely,
Cathy Maher 

Moodle Forum
Post from James Bromley:

"My install was in windows and I was unable to import ANY quiz types into moodle I was getting an error that said that the file could not be read. It turned out that php was trying to write the files to c:\windows\temp (this is not my servers TEMP or TMP enviroment var.) but that is where it was going, The IIS guest user did not have write permission to c:\windows\temp and that was the problem, I changed the permissions and it started working fine."

James Bromley

Leavenworth, Kansas"