Teaching with Moodle

Showing different students different units within course

Picture of Noor Sheikh
Showing different students different units within course

Hello, 

I would like to achieve this and I can not find anything to help me out. 

We have a full year enrollment program so a student can start a course at any time. 

For this example lets use the course English .

Student A enrolls tomorrow into English and he wlll start Unit 1 

Student B has been enrolled in English for 3 months and is at Unit 3 

How can I hide the other units for Student A (so he doesn't jump along) but keep them visible for Student B . If I hide those unit that student can not progress. 

Any help would be appreciated I am using Moodle 3.1 thanks 

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Showing different students different units within course
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello. I suggest you read about Restrict access and Activity completion so you can set your course so that students only see the activities they haven't yet done and progress at their own individual pace/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Joost Elshoff
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Using the toggle visibility feature for Restrict Access rules (with the 'eye' icon) also helps a lot: this way a student only sees the activities he should have access to, and not those that are still unavailable. 

From a user's perspective, the course keeps growing and advancing, without the teacher having to manually manage availability of activities.

Picture of Chris Kenniburg
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I would make it so that the student needs to pass a quiz with a certain grade at the end of each unit.  When they reach a passing grade the next unit is revealed.