Resetting forgot password without email

Re: Resetting forgot password without email

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The only way I can think of that is secure enough is by moving all the authentication credentials to an external database, and use the external database authentication plugin. The authentication database could be hosted in the same DB server as Moodle's one, but should be a different database.

This way, you could create a read-only user for Moodle to query the username/password combinations (to manage logins) and read/write access user for the (additional to Moodle) application that would manage password resets. You could add additional columns in the external users table to store the "managing customer organization", and then a second table where you would map "password manager users" to "managing customer organization". When those password manager users log into the additional application, the application would make sure they would only see and manage the user accounts belongin to their managing customer organization.

You could even develop a Moodle plugin (e.g., using a local plugin) to implement all this, if you don't want to develop a complete external application.

Saludos. Iñaki

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

Re: Resetting forgot password without email

by Sanni Rinne -

Hi Iñaki,

Thank you for your answer, I'll look into it. Currently I don't think that the external database is really a realistic option for us, as managing the users in a different place complicates the management of our Moodle site. Also the external database most likely costs more (unless there are any safe free options?) and requires more technical expertise (which would require resources from our IT department). But I'll look into this option a bit more, as the options for solving this issue seem to be a bit scarce.