Search for users based on Department 3.3.1

Search for users based on Department 3.3.1

by Oliver James -
Number of replies: 5

Hello all,

I would like to be able to search the list of users based on department. I have followed the advice on the docs

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Browse_list_of_users

But it refers to a field called profile. That does not seem to be on my install  - version 3.3.1

Has this feature been removed? Is there anyway I can get it back?

Many thanks

Oliver.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oliver James

Re: Search for users based on Department 3.3.1

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hi Oliver,

It has not been removed. It is custom profile filed. Here is the link : https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/User_profile_fields

You will find all the settings of how to create a custom profile field.

So you have to create a custom profile field say "department" and set it as mandatory.

Now it will be available in the advance search

Hope this will help you out.

In reply to S. kavita

by Oliver James -

Thank you very much for the information

What you are describing is to create a new field? The department field is already part of the users profile by default and has been populated. 

I did as you said however, and created a test field and set it to required. It did appear in the list but it did not pull the rest of the fields.

I guess it is the same as asking how would I search based on the optional fields like MSN ID, Skype ID, Institution etc. 

Kind regards

Oliver.

In reply to Oliver James

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers
Ok. Go to Site administration>Users > Permission>User Policies - Show user identity.

Select department to show in search.

I hope this will help.
In reply to S. kavita

by Oliver James -

Hiya,

Thank you so much for your help. Alas, I already have that check box ticked so that I could use the department field when I am in a course and enrolling users, I can then use the search there to use department. 

But it still doesn't show up in the Browse List of users screen.

Any other ideas?

In reply to Oliver James

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

After the above settings it is showing as one of the fields in the Browse user list. Have a look at the attached screenshot. You can then use normal search as we do to search anything on the page (ctrl + f).

Besides this I am not aware about any other alternative.

Attachment 2017-09-28 12_08_28-My new Moodle site_ Administration_ Users_ Accounts_ Browse list of users.png