Restrict access by enrolment method

Restrict access by enrolment method

by Dominique Bauer -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

I want to allow guest access to my course so that Google can index it, which would then allow me to use Google Custom search in the course. (Is this correct?)

With guest access allowed, I want to restrict access of some labels to users enrolled in the course, so that these labels cannot be viewed by guests.

I know that I can restrict access of resources by groups but this may be require updating the groups because enrolment varies especially at the beginning of the course.

It seems to me that restricting access by enrolment method would be much easier. I would simply need to restrict access to external database which is updated automatically and leave out guest access.

Do you think that restricting access by enrolment method would be useful?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: Restrict access by enrolment method

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Dominique,

Have you tried to use the Restriction by role plugin? https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_role. It knows about the standard roles, but I am not sure it knows about Guest.

Randy

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Alexander Bias -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Dominique,

I am the maintainer of https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_role.

This plugin currently can't handle guest enrolment yet (as the user is not really enrolled into the course with a role), but a colleague of me is already working on this. Due to other priorities, it will take 2-3 weeks until it's finished. Watch out for a new version in the plugin repo if you are interested.

Thanks,
Alex

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Alexander Bias

by Randy Thornton -

Alex,

Thanks for that good news. That will be a very useful feature for an already useful plugin. 

Thanks

Randy

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thank you both for your reply. I will look into this plugin.

What about the core Restrict access settings? Access can be restricted by Activity completion, date, grade, group or grouping and user profile fields. Could access be restricted also by enrolment method using the Restrict access settings?

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Randy Thornton -

Could it be? Yes, if that ability were added in the core code.

Will it be? Almost certainly No, because the point of making the availability restrictions as a plugin based tool was so that it could be easily extended by plugins that add specific types of restrictions. That means such additional restriction types would be unlikely to be added to core code.

The proper way to do it would be make a new restriction type plugin modeled on the course role one to instead use course enrollment type as the criterion.