Moving Moodle from one server to another when versions differ

Moving Moodle from one server to another when versions differ

by Jim Barr -
Number of replies: 2

I have Moodle v3.2.3 installed on a Web host, and I want to move it to another Web host running Moodle v3.3.2.

I've found lots of easy-to-follow methods to migrate Moodle from one server to another, so the mechanics are straight-forward. But what happens when the Moodle versions are different?

I might be able to upgrade the current v3.2.3 to v3.3.2 making the migration a no-brainer, but if I can't upgrade, what do you suggest?

Thanks!

Jim Barr, Moodle Newbie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Barr

Re: Moving Moodle from one server to another when versions differ

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you move the '3.3.2' data to the machine with 3.3.2 code then the first thing that will happen is that the data will be upgraded. 

The version is both the code loaded on the server and the Moodle database attached to it. If you point newer code at an older database then the database will be updated. Move the data over and then run the upgrade script. 

In reply to Jim Barr

Re: Moving Moodle from one server to another when versions differ

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

From what you've described think I'd get your current version (3.2.3) over to (migrate)  the new server first and get that up and running.  Check the site out and fix what needs fixin' after them move ... changing FQDN's is one little thing to fix.    *** Make a full site backup then. ***.   Do that before the next step of upgrading from 3.2.3 to 3.3.2.

Why the two step?   IF one migrates and upgrades at the same time and the site has issues, which is it that caused the issue?   The migration (move) or the upgrade?

Before pulling the trigger on upgrading to 3.3.2 think also I'd do environmental check and update that component to see if there are any warnings or failed checks.  Got addons/plugins?   Check those for compatibility with 3.3.x.

'spirit of sharing', Ken