Logstore xAPI

Logstore xAPI

by Paul Raper -
Number of replies: 11

Hi,

I have Moodle 3.3 installed and was trying to install the logstore XAPI plugin. I have tried both directly from the plugin repository on Moodle.org and also from a downloaded file, and in both instances the installation process fails with the following error message.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Attachment 2017-09-22 08_15_05-FHNW-HT_ Administration_ Plugins_ Install plugins - Internet Explorer.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Raper

Re: Logstore xAPI

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Paul,
you could file an issue into https://github.com/xAPI-vle/moodle-logstore_xapi/issues.

Indeed you're following the instructions detailed in https://github.com/xAPI-vle/moodle-logstore_xapi/blob/master/docs/installation.md: if you look at the archive, https://github.com/xAPI-vle/moodle-logstore_xapi/blob/master/xapi.zip?raw=true, bin is an empty folder i.e. it shouldn't stay there or it misses files inside.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Paul Raper -

Hi Matteo,

Thanks for the input. I have now logged the problem.

Interestingly the plugin installs ok on an old version of Moodle I am running, just not on either of the two latest versions.

Regards,

Paul

In reply to Paul Raper

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Paul,
this area (validations) has been heavily improved since 3.0 (MDL-49329).

For community reference: https://github.com/xAPI-vle/moodle-logstore_xapi/issues/137 .

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Paul Raper -

There is clearly an error in the code.

The master file installs, but after installation the page goes to one that says that it cannot display the administration page anymore.

I can log into the Moodle site at base level, but cannot access the administration page any longer!

Something is seriously wrong here!

Attachment 2017-09-22 11_56_15-HTTP 500 Internal Server Error - Internet Explorer.png
In reply to Paul Raper

by Paul Raper -

The last version of the plugin that will install, though with the error message described above, and that will not corrupt the Moodle database such that you have no access to your administration level, is version 1.4.0.
All versions of the plugin after this date do not work: so DONOT try to install them, in fact best would be for them to be taken down before they cause others a whole load of headaches.

It also runs on Moodle 3.3.2

In reply to Paul Raper

by Paul Raper -

Work around for if you install the wrong plugin, and can't then access your admin page any longer:

This was posted on Github by a disgruntled user:

Was getting same problems as above.
Was using the plugin from moodle.. and haven't bothered to upgrade for a few months.
Decided to pull the master from here last night and give it a go.
but it hosed something within the moodle database I think .. as validated fine but never got past the "Moodle database upgrading" part.. had to reboot the server as I lost the ability to use admin and also to go down to " /moodle/my/" level..
just seemed like for some reason this path was corrupt.
Had to go into "/admin/tool/log/store" and delete the plugin to get the system back.
Running Moodle 3.1.1 (Build: 20160711) on a AWS Bitnami server.
mysql (5.6.31)

Will have to come back to this as will test on my development server that is running 3.2.2

I actually found that I didn't need to restart the server, I'm using Debian, but if it doesn't work without a server restart, then no problem.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Raper

by Daniell Goodin -

yes,

That was my last weekend. 

it gave me plenty of stress and lucky I have access to the backend to get that workaround sorted. 

In reply to Daniell Goodin

by Paul Raper -

For me it would just be extremely useful if they withdrew the defective plugins with immediate effect, or, if they can't do that, place a note with the plugin letting users know of the issues.

The two latest plugins whilst not working with Moodle 3.3 nor 3.3.2 do seem to work with earlier versions. I have an old legacy system running which is waiting to be migrated, and these plugins work fine there.

Please, please XAPI developers, take these two versions down, and fix the code such that we don't have these headaches.

In reply to Paul Raper

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Paul for reporting the issue to the maintainers. Hopefully a new version with the fix will be available soon.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Paul Raper -

Hi David, I hope so too.

I'm still currently running with the older version of the plugin until I hear from the maintainers that the version 2.0.0 plugin has been fixed.

I'll run it past my test platform firm, and provided it works there, then update the main site.

Once I'm happy everything is functioning as it should, I'll post something back here. wink

In reply to Paul Raper

by Paul Raper -

I have just installed and tested the Logstore XAPI plugin version 2.1.5 and that works for me on Moodle 3.3.2 A word of caution remains in that it would be, in my opinion, highly inadvisable to install version 2 of the plugin on a Moodle 3.3.x system since it will "Müller" your system and require a fair degree of backend work to correct the problem. See thread above.