Repository link in courses?

Repository link in courses?

by Frank Black -
Number of replies: 3

v3.2

In the 'course administration' menu of the 'More' theme, there is a 'Repositories' link for teachers. When clicked it goes to

/repository/manage_instances.php?contextid=XXX

But there is nothing on that page that the teacher can do - no repositories listed.

Can anyone explain why this link is appearing and how to get rid of it?

And also why would they need a repository when they have a whole course to put files, media and resources in? I've read the docs, but I don't understand the concept or the need. Our institution's last site was v2.4, and the file picker was broken, so we did not use repositories at all, and got on fine without them. So how is a teacher uploading a file to a course repository different from dragging a file to a section?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Black

Re: Repository link in courses?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is because  a File system repository has been enabled but maybe it is not being used. So go to Manage repositories in Site administration and disable File system repository.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frank Black -

Thanks Mary. I think this was a refresh or cache problem of some sort.

I think the link appears when you enable 'Allow admins to add a file system repository instance to a course (configurable only by admins)'. I had unchecked it, but the link was still displaying for 24 hours. Maybe it got stuck because I hid the repository first, then unchecked the course option.

It has disappeared now though.

Thanks again.

I still don't really understand why a course repository is necessary though. If you have a one line explanation for it, I would appreciate it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Frank Black

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It's not necessary and is disabled by default. It's just that some places like to ftp files and give access to that folder on the server- but it's not normal practice.