'Save to' field not working in Automated backup setup

'Save to' field not working in Automated backup setup

by Tony H -
Number of replies: 3
Greetings,

The automated backups are working correctly, but the .mbz files are not stored in the Save to field (backup_auto_destination). Instead,  the backup files go to their default location (we can only access them through the course interface). We are running Moodle 3.3.2 (Build: 20170911).

• The path exists and there is a green checkbox next to it, indicating that Moodle can access it. 
  • To rule out a permissions issue, we changed the folder owner to match the owner of the web process and changed the folder permissions to 777.  Furthermore, we tried executing php admin/cli/automated_backups.php as root.

Options?

Best regards,
Tony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony H

Re: 'Save to' field not working in Automated backup setup

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you show us your settings page?  I had this happen once and was shocked to discover that I did not get an error message and Moodle just randomly decided to save them somewhere else (however, that also saved my butt when I needed to restore a course!) . In my situation, I was using a folder that was on another server mounted to my moodle server - the mount had disconnected.  Moodle could still see the folder where I mount the remote folder and thought it was good but could not write to it because the remote server was disconnected.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tony H -

Hi Emma, thanks for the reply. Maybe I should enable debugging and see if there is an error thrown someplace? The backup folder is on the same server as the Moodle install. I use rsync to push the backups to a different server. The setting page and CLI log is attached.  The Last execution log shows all green (OK or Skipped).

Attachment 2017-09-21_21-49-50.png
Attachment 2017-09-21_21-54-03.jpg
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tony H -

To follow up with this, I found the hidden setting. Apparently, the Save to value is ignored unless the Automated backup storage value is set to Specified directory for automated backups. The UI should provide some indication of this or better, The Save to field could be disabled if the previous value ignores it or overrides it. I tried creating a ticket,  but the tracker site told me I lack the evidence that I searched for a similar bug...

Attachment 2017-09-22_9-20-11.png