Adding Boost Presets.

Adding Boost Presets.

by Mark Miller -
Number of replies: 12

Im have officially hit a wall.

I'm using the "Boost" theme in Moodle version 3.2.2.

There are two presets installed with the initial installation.  I found a preset [preset-morecandyt.scss].  I put the file in the same directory as the other two presets, but it's not showing up as an option.  .

I can't find any more instructions.

Can someone te;; me how in the world I can make this work?  This seems to be the only [free] preset that will provide three columns.

tnx

mm

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: Adding Boost Presets.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I gave this presentation at MoodleMoot US this year.  You might find something useful in it.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mark Miller -

I just peeked at the files and am anxious to work with them in depth.

What software do you use to generate your audio/slide MP4?  I've never done it but was thinking of just doing it with PowerPoint.  Do you have other recommendations?

tnx

mark

In reply to Mark Miller

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Mark, I use a combination of software to produce that video that I did for MoodleMoot (and my lecture videos.)

For screen shots and screen videos, I use Camtasia.  Then, I take the output of these products into Adobe Premiere for final editing, composition, and encoding.  Along the way I use PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Audition to create the various media files for Premiere.

Yes, one might try using only PowerPoint, as in voice-on-PowerPoint.  Some versions of PowerPoint allow you to export as video, but I have never been satisfied with Microsoft's results.  Also, how one might embed and caption screen videos gets really cumbersome.  But it is not a bad place to begin.

As a stepping stone, you might consider making videos only with Camtasia.  You can export your PowerPoint slides a jpeg files, and then import them into Camtasia.

I use only Camtasia when I want to make quick, unedited screen videos.  It is pretty good for this purpose.

In reply to Mark Miller

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This seems to be a 'Themes' issue and would be better placed in the Themes forum.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mark Miller -

I started out with what I thought was a technical issue about processing 'scss' files.  It quickly morphed into the discussion of the theme itself.

When this happens, how do I fix it?

mm

In reply to Mark Miller

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok....

1. Boost is a theme.
  2. Presets are in this context a part of the Boost theme.
  3. This is a 'theme' issue where more specific exposure to the issue would be gained by it being in the themes forum.  Therefore more likely to get an answer.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just to let you know this thread is being moved to the Themes forum in line with Gareth's commentwink

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mark Miller

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mark, Gosh, I am really surprised no one told you to remove the preset you added to the Boost directory, as that was the wrong thing to do. You need to add the Preset as a file, in other words offer it up to the Preset Drag n Drop file uploader in the Boost themes general settings tab.

Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Boost -> General settings

Hope that helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Miller -

This is exactly what was needed. The whole process took about thirty seconds.  Thanks.  A bunch.

Mark

In reply to Mark Miller

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mark, 

That is one of my presets, so if you need to change anything or you want to make your own preset, feel free to make a copy of that preset but give it a different name and change the SCSS as you wish. After which you can add it as a new preset in just the same way you added the Morecandy Preset.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mark Miller

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mark, 

I think in Boost you have to add the presets via the front end rather than copying them directly into the theme scss folder. I remember having to add that functionality into Waxed in the early Boost days.

For the technical bit of how to process them - see https://github.com/roelmann/moodle-theme_waxed/blob/master/lib/scss_lib.php#L45-L76